bug using mackie control with Sonar

Here's your chance to spout out about suggestions for future versions of Cakewalk/Sonar.
woody

Post by woody » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:33 am

Hi,
There's a nasty bug where when you go into piano roll and edit some notes using the length option and scroll up or down in the number of % box, and then click ok....this causes Sonar to go to sleep according to the mackie techs....and mackie control stops responding because it's not getting any info from sonar.

You have to turn the mackie control off/on to restart and then everything is fine.

Mackie techs says it's a problem in Sonar not the Mackie....

Can you fix and give us a patch?
Thanks

Axeman

Post by Axeman » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:03 am

Specific Attention should be paid to ANY major control surface currently on the market. The Mackie Control, Tascam FW1884, and now the Yamaha 01X are the flagship peices of a new era in PC recording. These control surfaces are becoming a mainstay in this type of recording. There needs to be some sort of a specific team of people addressing any known bugs with these new accessories as they will be the wave of the future.

For that matter, how about CAKEWALK developing a specific control surface for Sonar users? Something designed more specifically to Sonar first, but that could also be compatible with other recording programs. All the current control surfaces, try to cover multiple softwares. How about one that focuses exclusively on Sonar? My Tascam 1884 is nice, but I shouldn't have to spend a thousand bucks everytime I want to add 8 more channels! What about two versions....an 8 and a 16 channel surface **WITH** the pre's built in like the Tascam? I currently have to invest over $2000 to have a 16 channel control surface. How about a single 16 channel surface that is tailored to SOnar, but costs less?

I think MixedLogic offers a 24 channel surface, but it has no pre's and is over $3K!!! Give me something more capable, and with more inputs than the FW1884 alone, and within a reasonable price range with decent pre's. I'd buy it in a heartbeat! :shock:

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:11 pm

For that matter, how about CAKEWALK developing a specific control surface for Sonar users? Something designed more specifically to Sonar first, but that could also be compatible with other recording programs
Axeman,
Cakewalk tried this back in the ProAudio days with the (I believe) ProMix system. It was a control surface that was a joint venture between Cakewalk and (ech!) Peavey. The system never took off. With all of the established 'mixer' companies like Mackie, Tascam and Sony making control surfaces, I doubt you will see Cakewalk step up to compete.

Digidesign makes their own hardware and forces you to use it, MOTU makes great hardware any of us can use and Cakewalk doesn't seem to be interested in this aspect.

Axeman

Post by Axeman » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:00 pm

Yeah, I mean I can't blame Cakewalk....I think they could have picked a better partner than Peavey, but it's just a shame I don't have anything better than the Tascam to choose from. I like it...don't get me wrong, I got the most I could get out of my $1,000.00...A control surface AND built in pre's, but it would have been nice if there was better EQ control and more faders in a single unit. The FE-8 expanders are ok, but to me they shouldn't be another $1,000.00