absolute newbie here, need any advice you guys have

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:30 am

Hey guys,

I'm a 22 year old who has recently gotten back into using my keyboard. I have an older Yamaha Portatone PSR-540. I'm looking to get back into making music on it, but I don't even know where to begin. First off, what exactly is cakewalk? I know my keyboard has midi-capability, and I have a good computer. How will using cakewalk increase my ability to compose professional music? Are their any links you guys know that will teach me from the very beginning? I'm looking to get more into synthesizers, and mixing, but I know very little about it. I haven't even totally mastered my keyboard at this time, as it has features I still don't understand yet. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks
-Dan :D

adrian

Post by adrian » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:03 am

best thing to do is buy an entry-level piece of software - like cakewalk home studio. (other manufacturers make entry level software too, like cubasis - but i can personally recommend tha cakewalk one).

then check that you have a soundcard on your pc. it needs to have a midi connection - most modern pcs have these. to start with, the basic sound card is fine.

get a midi lead to connect your keyboard to your pc and install the software. spend some time reading the manual, and then experiment. it usually takes a while to get to grips with everything, but you can post queries on line here.

good luck

adrian