First Timer Advice plz

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
SavageMagnetism

Post by SavageMagnetism » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:50 pm

Its not my intention to use any of the cake walk products soley as a "metronome" but i do alot of originals. Ive recently attempted to use Music Creator Pro24 and really dont know where to begin. I wanna set up beats for now like a drum machine of sorts. Is this possible or is there another cakewalk product i should be lookin to use instead. Im doing this all from cratch. I dont have an midi files to use or anything. I have no clue where to start.

thanks
mike

ComposerTed

Post by ComposerTed » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:04 am

Hi Mike,

It is certainly possible to use Music Creator Pro/24 as a drum machine of sorts and there are at least 2 (and probably more) ways to do it:

- You can create a "drum map". If you look in the program help and do a search for tutorials, tutorial 8 goes into the specifics of how to do this.

- A second approach is to use the "session drummer" - basically you choose from a list of styles and patterns and the program then places notes in the appropriate places on a midi track.

Different people have different preferences as to how they use the program. In my case, I actually like to just drop the notes into their places on to one or more midi tracks in staff view (using Sonar 3 PE, which is quite similar to Music Creator Pro/24). Of course, I need to assign the track(s) output to the appropriate percussions instrument(s) for it to sound right :)

Hope that helps,

Ted