recording a live band

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
sunshine

Post by sunshine » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:09 pm

Ok, I have cakewalk home studio 2002, a computer and a band.....now I need to find out what soundcard I should buy to go in the 2cd computer I am going to buy for recording. I have played with the cakewalk program some, and think I can eventually learn what I need to know, but we want to do it as soon as we possibly can, so I need help from those of you that know. We have a 4 piece band and a powered mixer that is designed for studio use. I will be running our sound from it into the computer and cakewalk. Any advice or suggestions on any of it would be so greatly appreciated. Or if I need directed to another site? thanks

Gary

Post by Gary » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:10 pm

Sunshine,
I'm pretty new at this stuff. :? You could record the whole band onto one track of audio just running an output from the mixer into the soundcard.Using the right output on the mixer of course. Unfortunatly you wouldn't be able to do any mixing after the fact. It's good for getting quick ideas down though. If you are not using electronic drums it wouldn't be a bad idea to use another mixer for a sub/mix(for the drums).

Check out this site
http://www.m-audio.net

there's some gear in there that will do exactly what you need. You ultimately need to record the complete band on seperate tracks.

hope this helps

GaryD

sunshine

Post by sunshine » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:08 pm

:shock: There is so much info out there.......just wading thru it is a full time job. And who knew being a sound tech would be only the beginning....... :roll:

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:56 pm

Sunshine, are you wanting to record each instrument on its own track, or the band as a whole. There will be difference in which card you purchase.

Recording the band as a whole might only require two but no more than four input. But doing the whole band as individuals would require a minimum of eight, but better with 16 inputs.

So it is important to know what your requirements will be before spending lots of cash on cards.

sunshine

Post by sunshine » Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:56 pm

Actually the main thing now is recording demos to distribute to line up "gigs", and then maybe recording some originals to sell if the quality is there. We went to studio once for demo, and everyone played at the same time...we requested to do it that way and it worked great. But doing one track at a time is probably the way we would do any later on to sell.......to get the best quality. We have 4 vocal mikes, drums, keys, bass, and 2 guitars. I want the best possible recording with the least complicated use. We are expecting to spend anywhere from $500 to $1000 to get going with what we have. I don't know if getting a extra computer just for recording, and soundcard is the way to go, or a all in one unit to go directly from the mixing board???

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:19 pm

Sounds like you have a plan, my friend. When going to the studio, the band plays as a whole when recording. That is really the only way to do it. But each instrument is mic'd. The drums usually are mic'd with up to 8 microphones, if not more pending size of kit.

You can do it right now and have it sound good. Using your mixer, mic everything and set the stereo pan to the 10 and 2 positions for each channel. Then take the left and right channels out of the mixer to the PC. Make sure every thing is balanced tonally.

Professional recording are expensive, even at $40/hr. Because once the band has recorded the song, the engineer goes back and listens to each track for anomallies to correct. Such as missed or flubed drum hits, bad chords, or maybe even to double the guitars. Then after it is all done, you now have to add the vocals. A long prcess. I spent three months in tne studio.

Good luck and sounds exciting.

GaryD

Post by GaryD » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:55 am

Sun,
too bad your drummer doesn't have an electronic kit...here's what I do sometimes because I haven't got the gear to record a whole band live...

First get the drums set to record on one stereo track...get good levels and all that.

then,have the rest of the band play with the drummer NOT recording anything else but the drums.
when you have a good take then record everything else,building the song one track at a time.

I usually play bass and sing so the drummer knows where he is in the song...it's easy,really.

I guess you could try it with an acoustic kit...keep everything else low in the room and see what happens...you might be surprized....look at what George Martin did with 4 tracks....don't be afraid to experiment

GaryD