VST (is it possible to open and play several VSTs at once?)

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
scott

Post by scott » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:15 am

I realize I can open a number of VSTs each one assigned to it's own track. But, can I open several VST plugins and play them all as one instrument onto a single track?

Say I want a piano and an organ to sound simultaneously and I want to hear them both as a play them. Is it possible to assign multiple VSTs to a single track?

If so how? Every time I open a VST it is assigned to a track and I can only play that VST if I have selected that track.

How can I layer them and play multiple VSTs as if a single instrument?
Last edited by scott on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:47 am

Yes, but it depends which ones they are as to the performance you will get.

It looks like you are trying to layer your sounds. Look at softsynths that have this function like dimension that comes with Project 5.

scott

Post by scott » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:49 am

How? Each VST is assigned a track of its own. And each VST plays only if its own track is selected. How do you play them all at once and record them onto a single track?

Ok, I found a way to do it but it's a bit circuitous. I open the VSTs as standalones and get the layered sound I want. Then, I open Home Studio. Now I couldn't do this before because it would say that the sound card was in use or something. However, now I'm using an external sound card the M-audio Ozone which is an ASIO thing. Using this Home Studio opens even though I've got several VSTs running already. Next, I record onto a single track. This only records one instrument however as I play I'm able to hear all of them. Then I Insert each of the VSTs in order to recreate the sound I wanted and use my initial track to cut & paste tracks for the other instruments. It works but there must be an easier way. (':roll:')
At least I got it to do what I wanted it to do though so Cheers!(':lol:')

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:34 pm

Why don't you load all the VST's you require each one on it's own audio track. Make sure each VST's midi track has it's output set to it's VST but it's input needs to be set to the same channel for all the tracks. This way when you hit a key on the keyboard it will communicate with all the synths at the same time.

Next it's time to group the echoes on the midi tracks. Press and hold down control key and click the echo button in the track pane for each of the midi tracks. Now when press a key all the softsynths will play the same note.

Then you want to record all the tracks onto individual tracks. Arm the midi tracks for recording and start recording what you want to play. Each track will record it's own midi data. Then bounce each track to individual audio tracks in the normal way or if you want them all recorded on the same track just bounce to one stereo track.

Edit: Here is a screen shot I created to give you an idea:

Note the inputs of both midi tracks are the same and the outputs are to their respective synth. Both midi tracks have the green echo button selected. Both audio tracks with the VSTs on are routed to the master out put. As you can see both the meters are active on both audio tracks with one press of a key.

Hope that helps.

scott

Post by scott » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:02 pm

First of all, I'm using Home Studio 2. But I am trying out all of your suggestions.

To start simple I Insert two VSTs which are each automatically assigned a track. The outputs of those two tracks go to their respective VSTs.

The Inputs is the thing. The first choice of inputs is 'none' the second is ' midi omni' then 'midi channel 1' etc.

First I tried setting both Inputs to Midi Omni. But this produced only the sound of which ever track was highlighted as the past experiments did. Then I tried choosing Midi Channel 1 for both VSTs and I set my keyboard controller for that. But it was the same thing. I could only hear one VST at a time depending on which one I highlighted with the mouse.

I could of course Record having armed both tracks and upon listening back I could then hear both instruments. But not during the performance.

Are you actually able to hear them both doing as you've suggested?

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:26 am

There are quite a few differences between HS2 and Sonar 5 but this is down to basic functionality so both versions should work the same way.

Everything you are doing is correct. Make sure you turn the echo on, on both midi channels. When it is on it is green but you will have to hold down the control key when you click each button so that they all light up.

Then it should work and you can definately hear both sounds. If you are doing all the above and still not getting a result then I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest.

scott

Post by scott » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:32 pm

I'll try again. Although I wasn't getting but one synth at a time before, only that which was highlighted and apparently only one can be highlighted at a time. You'd think it would work with it set as you suggested but I got only one to sound at a time even though all tracks were armed.

I don't have confidence that the echo will make a difference since I'm getting only one synth sounding. But I'll give it another go. This is frustrating and strange and strange not in a good way, but at least I was able to get it to work using that long method I mentioned earlier so it's not as bad as it could be.

I thank you for your help thus far. It really does work as you say then on your machine with those settings? Really? You tried it?

Cheers

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:54 pm

scott wrote: It really does work as you say then on your machine with those settings? Really? You tried it?

Cheers
It really does work. That is what the screen shot is, my machine running Sonar 5 PE with one instance of Lounge Lizard 2 and one instance Of Superwave and they are both sounding at the same time as you can see by the meters on the synth tracks.

It is the Echo buttons that make all the difference, without them both activated only the highlighted track will play.

scott

Post by scott » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:49 am

I believe you. The only thing I have trouble with is getting the echo on both tracks.

The picture you show looks different from my Home Studio 2 version.

I Insert 2 different VSTs which are automatically assigned tracks. Each opens with an audio track and a midi track for some reason.

I arm both of the midi tracks and I can check them by highlighting one and then the other and they do produce sound and would record into their respective tracks. But the problem is I can't hear them both during the recording.

You say I'm leaving out the important final step. The echo. I've just spent sometime trying to figure that one out but can't seem to get it working.

Here's what I did: Going to the Console window and right clicking on the track I see that I may add midi effects. A menu opens and there's a list of Cakewalk FXs. I see one that says Echo Delay and I apply it. Then I go to the other track and do the same thing.

I'm not sure how you're doing it and I don't get where to use the Ctrl button. I've played around with this trying different things but I just can't get it to cooperate. What I'm I doing wrong?

Could you please in some detail explain how you apply the echo and get them both sounding at once?

I really appreciate your time here and your help is immensely appreciated.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:15 pm

When I talk about the echo buttons it is the input echo that I mean not an echo delay fx. It is all to do with the routing of the input signal.

The buttons are the ones just near the Arm, Mute and Solo buttons with a symbol that looks like o)).

If you cant find them they might need to be set up. try typing Input Echo into the search field of the help file to find out how it's done in HS2.

scott

Post by scott » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:56 pm

I'm going to call it a night. I see the o)) symbol in your picture now and I don't have that on mine. Perhaps the Home Studio 2 doesn't have it on individual tracks. I've searched for Input echo in the help file and so far haven't found the right instructions for making this thing work. I think I'll visit the Cakewalk site and maybe download a demo of an update to check it out or perhaps they list changes somewhere on that site. Thanks for your help. I don't suppose there is a help chat line for this. . . Cheers