cakewalk without soundcard

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
dogbone

Post by dogbone » Mon May 22, 2006 12:56 am

Is it possible to use the cakewalk program without the soundblaster sound card? I loaded just the cakewalk program but I can't import wave files that are already in the computer. I can copy/send the files and they appear in the "wave data" area if I point to them but the file seems empty when I double click. I removed the sound card because it wasn't compatable with the computer. Any ideas? Thanks.

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon May 22, 2006 10:30 am

You have got to have some sort of audio interface. Does the motherboard have a sound chip on it, if it does then use that.

Creative products are the evil scurge of the audio world, your better off without it. A decent 24/96 card from MAudio or EMU will only cost about £60.

dogbone

Post by dogbone » Mon May 22, 2006 3:43 pm

Thanks Andy, my computer was bought last year. It is a 530 Intel Pentium 4 Processor, whatever that means. I can record/copy/listen to music with it. I suppose it has its own sound card on the motherboard. Wouldn't cakewalk recognize it when I loaded it? If this dosen't work, do you have any suggestions for a software program primarily for editing? I compose and record my songs on a yamaha aw16g.

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon May 22, 2006 10:36 pm

Cakewalk should pick it up, what Cake prog are you actually running?

How are you transferring the song onto the PC from the AW16G?

If it is as PCM wave files of individual tracks then you do need a sequencer like Sonar or Home Studio, whatever fits your price bracket.

If you are transferring a stereo wave file or recording from the digital or analogue outputs of the AW16G then you really need a wav editing program such as Soundforge or Adobe Audition. They are quite pricey but there are cheaper editors like Goldwave or free ones like Audacity it all depends what features you need and fx you want to use.

This is a good little free audio program that might offer what you need and it's free: Krystal

I would definately recommend the MAudio Audiophile 24/96 soundcard for your computer. It gives you exactly the same connectability as you AW16G ie 2 analogue I/O, 2 Coaxial digital I/O plus midi I/O which could come in handy for control some of the features of the AW16G.

dogbone

Post by dogbone » Tue May 23, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks Andy, the song files are audio files from the aw16g. When I transfer them into the computer they are converted to mp3's. (I think I have this right). Well...I probably need something extra to get everything going with my cakewalk program, I will get one of those editing programs you suggested. Thanks for your help.