soundcards

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
stuart

Post by stuart » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:17 am

I am gradually getting to grips with the programme.
However I suspect my soundblaster live card may not be sophistacated enough--any suggestions as to what would be a suitable upgrade soundcard and it's approx cost-many thanks-Stu

Tip for other beginners-PRINT THE INSTRUCTIONS!-they are very informative and helpful

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:48 am

Hi Stuart,

You are right the SB Live is not really up to the job, unfortunately many people are stuck with it and have learnt ways to work around it's problems.

The upgrade path is always a dodgy area to recommend without knowing what plans you ahve and other eqpt you use. Whether you use you PC for music making only or if you use it in a multimedia context for DVD's and gaming etc. These things have a lot of bearing over what card you should buy.

stuart

Post by stuart » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:18 pm

Andy, thanks for your thoughts.
PC is used for the odd game by my kids and me for e-mails,internet,digital photography and messing about on the cakewalk with a guitar. I am on the lookout for a 2nd hand keyboard to plug in{I can't play so need the guitarist's one finger chord facility}
I do have CD,DVD, and CD rewriter installed.
Any suggestions now?
regards Stuart

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:05 pm

For a good allround card that will give high end results in your music but still allow good multimedia facilities, try looking at the Terratec DMX 6 Fire. It has loads of connections, in/out and a break out box. It will knock spots off the audigy2 as far as music production goes. It costs about 160 GBP.

stuart

Post by stuart » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:56 pm

thanks Andy I've got my PC guy on the case-thanks Stu