latency/lag

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
eld

Post by eld » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:53 am

I'm new to Midi and Cakewalk. I think I have things set up correctly, but I'm having trouble with latency, i.e., I press a key on my keyboard and there is a delay before I hear sound when playing/recording.

This does not occur when I output MIDI back to my keyboard. It only happens when I output to the Mircosoft GS Wavetable Synth that came with my system.

I think maybe I need a better synth to avoid this delay. Is this true?
Do I need a hardware synth or will a software synth work for my needs?

I'm am just a beginner so I don't need all the bells and whistles, don't need perfection -- just a way to get started. That said, I'm still willing to spend the money in order to get the right stuff.

Any suggestions for synths/samplers for a newbie?

Here's what I have now:
ProAudio 9
M-Audio Audiophile USB
Yamaha P-80 keyboard.
1 gig ram
2.8 mhz pentium 4

Thanks in advance.
Eric

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:18 am

You shouldn't really be getting any latency with that soundcard and the MS GS wavetable.

First check that you have the latest WDM drivers for your soundcard and it is set up properly. Make sure the buffers are set correctly in the soundcards control panel (I believe the audiophile has one).

Proaudio 9 is a bit old now for running with this modern hardware and I don't think it supports the latest drivers. I would suggest a modest upgrade to the Home Sudio range or if you can, Sonar. From what I have seen HS2004 is basically the same as Sonar2 so it is a pretty powerful piece of software for the price.