More unsync/lag in recorded tracks

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
MikeH

Post by MikeH » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:27 am

Here's one to ponder!

Been using GTR Pro 3 for over a year with the following set up and no real problems

120GB HD
2 x 512 DDR memory
Audigy Platinum Pro 2 proffessional soundcard (outboard)

OK, a little latency when I was using Amplitude in real time even when I had the buffers as fat as poss but no real issues. Then......

Moved from the UK to Australia (Melbourne - no problem there!) set my system up when it arrived and noticed a little noise from the HD bearing - dont think they are too kind to your PC when shipping!

So put in a new 250GB hard drive. Enter the problem.

With the [b]buffer set in the normal (mid or safe) position[/b] here's what happens. I'll import a set of drum samples to make the basis for a song. No problems.
Plug in a bass or guitar to put down the first live track and lets say I'm not using any effects, completely dry. I press the record arm option on the track too set record level then strum the guitar. Th record level meter moves a split second later than the strum - but I'm hearing it in real time through the monitors. So, the signal is getting to the PC monitors in real time but not making it to the track without a delay.

So, [b]in audio settings I put the buffer on as fast a speed as possible[/b]. The delay that I'm seeing on the record level monitor when strumming seems to go. Hurrah. Press record and play for three minutes - often, but not every time, the back end of the recording will have slowed down and be out of sync with the drums (not my playing honest!)

I've read a lot of threads and this problem people usually dismiss as a sound card issue, the sound card I'm using is built for recording and has been great for a year.

The only other change I can think of is I have also put Microsoft proffesional 2003 on as my operating system as opposed to the older version that was on before.

So I am currently reduced to trying to record songs a verse at a time while the buffers run flat out!

Very frustrating.

Anyone who can offer any pointers on this one I am very greatful to and if you get yourself to melbourne the beers are on me.

Many thanks

Mike :)

HDB

Post by HDB » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:31 pm

[color=red]Audigy Platinum Pro 2 proffessional soundcard (outboard)

I've read a lot of threads and this problem people usually dismiss as a sound card issue, the sound card I'm using is built for recording and has been great for a year.

The only other change I can think of is I have also put Microsoft proffesional 2003 on as my operating system as opposed to the older version that was on before.[/color]

Mike,

Me again. You may consider going to this website (if you haven't already been there), and doing a search for "Audigy":

http://recording.org/forums.html

Just be prepared for some not so kind evaluations of Soundblaster stuff, and try not to use "professional", and "built for recording" claims there...lest you be skewered. Otherwise, you may find some useful information that could lead to a solution. Heck, I have one in both my computers, but only for using MIDI Soundfonts...not for audio.

Microsoft Professional 2003 is also not considered to be the best platform for recording, though it can be done. And since you pointed out that it worked before you changed the OS, I would suspect that you got your older OS working properly, and that there are some settings and tweaks you may need to do the new one. That seems a more likely source of the problem than the soundcard, which was working, or especially the new drive.

I THINK the Professional 2003 version is an office version of that terrible (worst ever) ME stopgap OS, with added stuff for networking and office use, but I could be wrong. If it's a "business-oriented" version of ME, or even XP, there could be ALL KINDS of stuff clogging the arteries.

If you hit "Ctrl, Alt, Del" and get to the Task Manager, what shows up in the "Applications" that is running, if anything? How many "Processes" are shown, and do you need all of them? On my Audio computer, with no programs open, I have no "Applications", and 12 "Processes"...all of which I need to run the computer.

Keep in mind that if you are running a high-speed Internet, that you will probably have more necessary things running than I do. Mine is not connected, so I shut off all Networking.

Anyway, if you have not done so, you may consider visiting the Recording website linked above, and searching for clues. You may even consider joining to ask questions, if you have not already done so. There are some very capable people in there (most more knowledgeable then I), who may be able to help solve the problem.

As I stated before, though, try not to claim the Audigy as "Professional"...

It's not they are snobs, most have had experience with them. It's just that compared to equipment that is considered more professional, they know and can hear the difference. They know people use them, and will try to suggest to upgrade...but they will answer questions posed by humble users. :wink:

Good luck,

HDB

leelaws

Post by leelaws » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:42 am

GO UNDER VIEW IN THE TOP TOOLBAR.CHECK SYNC.IN THE TOOLBAR WILL BE FOUR BUTTONS PRESS AUDIO SYNC.IF THAT DOESN'T WORK WRITE ME BACK.

MikeH

Post by MikeH » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:18 am

Leelaws

Cheers for your reply mate. I'm using Gtr Pro £ and their is no sync option under the view drop down, is this the toolbar you were talking about?

Mike

HDB

Post by HDB » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:30 am

I think I covered that in one of the other threads...I think the first one in the "General" forum.

I don't know where it is in GT, but it's under "Options>Project>Clock" at the top of the screen in others. As I indicated, once you have just one audio track recorded, you need to set it to "Audio" for everything to stay in sync. If set to anything else...especially if left at "Internal" the audio will go out of sync, skip, hiccup...or possibly lock up the program. I've done it, myself :oops: Actually, my audio would play for a bit, and then suddenly speed up, and then lock up. It would actually change pitch. That's because it was trying to follow the internal clock, instead of the program syncing to the audio.

I saw the "Recording Forum" entry. Looks good, and the hard drive DMA setting is something I overlooked. Not sure if that would actually just cause it to go out of sync, but it's always good to have them set properly, anyway.

Also, the mention of the "Media Center" Windows...I'm not sure if "Professional 2003" is a "media version"...maybe it is, but that is also something I suspected, because it seemed to have started when you installed that version. That's always the dilemma when you change two things at once. If something happens, you're not sure if it was this, that...or both, and it leaves you with more things to suspect. I still suspect it's something in that new Windows version that needs tweaking, or in the GT program. I guess, logically, when you installed the new Windows, you had to re-install GT? Perhaps you had it set properly before, but just don't quite remember what you did to get it working? Done that, too. They installed that version a couple years ago to test on our systems at work (we supply systems for hotel movies, games, Internet...etc), and it was nothing but problems.

If the audio was skipping, or things were locking up or crashing...I may throw the hard drive into the equation. But since, from your description, it records gltch-free...just drifts out of sync...that's what makes me think it's something else.

I think you are close to the answer. Hopefully, more people will jump in here, and on the "Recording" site forum to get your answer.

Good luck,

HDB

MikeH

Post by MikeH » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:51 am

HDB

Cheers again for your help mate.

Pretty sure the problem lies with the opertaing system. Put in the old hard drive (removed it due to bearing becoming noisy) and checked all the setting as compared to the new HD. All the settings match up, the only difference being the old HD was formatted with Windows 98 and the new one 2003. So getting a copy of 98 OS this weekend and going to re-format. Let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Mick