I really need help getting set up.

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
graywoulf

Post by graywoulf » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:24 pm

Greetings all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this but I have been gearing up for some home spun music creation and now that I have all that I think I need and want, I need some serious advice on how to connect all of this.

Equipment: Roland SH-201 Synthesizer, M-AUDIO Axiom 25 Controller, Alesis SR-16 Drum Machine, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Sound Card w/ Midi in/out.

Software: Sonar 4 XL (Main) with Ableton Live Lite for M-Audio (came with the controller), Audacity, Kristal, and energyXT2. I want to narrow these down or delete some of them and use Sonar 4 mainly.

All of the aforementioned equipment all has MIDI in and out as well as MIDI through on the drum machine.

Could somebody please direct me on connecting all of this to my PC using the Audigy 2 front MIDI connections and then some advice on getting some sound out of this setup??

If there are any links to other forums, websites, etc. you have to suggest then please pass them along as well.

I am somewhat technically savvy and learn quickly with such things but I have not yet found the right source of information on the net as of yet.

I would greatly appreciate ANY help I can get. :?

graywoulf

jetstream

Post by jetstream » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:03 pm

I would say daisy chain.
how many have midi through?
I asume the drum machine would only need one midi channel so use say channel 16 for that and divide up the remaining midi channels as you need them.
You should be able to go into the drum machine settings and set it to a midi channel to suit you. then use mmc function in sonar to activate it.
Set the drum machine midi clock to external and sonar will keep it all in time.
Your sound card should have enough inputs to plug in the drum machine and your synth. Then use sonar.
you should have a choice of audio inputs in the track properties of each audio track just select one option for your synth and one for your drum machine. then plug them in to the coresponding inputs.
I hope that makes sense :?
any sound on your pc will mix in with the rest.
plug into a hi fi and listen.
I play live with a similar set up and my soundcards output goes into a mixer and it all works great.