Audio and MIDI files coexisting?

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
MusicJunkie

Post by MusicJunkie » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:16 pm

Hi, I'm having problems making MIDI and audio clips coexist in Cakewalk Music Creator 2002. I believe that the problem revolves around this option, but I'm not sure:

Options > Audio > Advanced >
"Always Use MME Interface, Even When WDM Drivers Are Available."

When I select this option, MIDI works just great (in particular, I'm working with the Session Drummer). The problem is that selecting this option somehow knocks out my audio recording ability! I'll hit 'record', and suddenly the audio recording feature that worked perfectly before doesn't respond at all.

When I go back and deselect the option, my audio is 'fixed', but then my MIDI doesn't work! I get this window saying "No MIDI Outputs Selected", and then when I go to select a MIDI device, the only one listed is "Microsoft MIDI Mapper", and it won't allow me to select that. Re-selecting the option fixes the problem, but then audio doesn't work again. It keeps going on and on and on...

If you have any suggestions, PLEASE let me know!! I really am stuck and have no idea where to go with this one.

Thank you!!

P.S. - I'm trying to set up the Session Drummer to play and then record myself on guitar and vocals over it, if that helps. :)

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:22 pm

You don't say what soundcard you have and the specs of your system. To hazard a guess I would say it is probably be a soundcard driver problem.

Cakewalk likes WDM drivers so check that you have the latest drivers, WDM if possible.

Midi and audio conflicts like this often appear with older soundcards that are not full duplex. Any thing after the AWE 32/64 time should be full duplex.

If you have a button that says Wave profiler in music creator then run it again. If the AUD.INI file has become corrupt then you can search for it and delete it then run the wave profiler again. This will set up the sound card within cakewalk again.

That's a few things to look at. Hope it helps.

Andy