Recording reverb from Aardvark into Cakewalk

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
Ron warren

Post by Ron warren » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:14 am

Help!

I'm trying to record the great reverb in Aardvark into my vocal tracks, but when I go to mixdown it disappears. I have been emailing both Aardvark and Cakewalk but they haven't given me the right answer yet. Can anyone offer a solution?

Thanks

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:29 am

How are you doing it, or at least trying to do it now?

Ron warren

Post by Ron warren » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:00 pm

I want to record Aardvark's reverb in my VOCAL tracks and nothing else. I like their reverb a lot better than Cakewalk's. I route my other audio through 3/4 in Aardvark. The book says if I want to get reverb I must route it to SOURCE Stereo 5/6 which I did and can hear it fine in playback. The problem is mixdown. I uncheck the box that says "each source to separate mix" since I have 3/4 and 5/6 source buses listed (the VOCALS going to 5/6). After mixdown, I play it and the reverb is long gone.

Aardvark's manual says that "in order to record our reverb in your multitrack software, you must select recording inputs 5/6. These inputs do not correspond to physical inputs on the breakout box. Rather, they are virtual inputs that record the monitor mix."

Any suggestions?

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:55 pm

Well, I know how I would do it. But it might not be what you are trying to do. I guess a question, are the vocals already recorded? Or are you trying to record the reverb when you are recording your vocals. I guess it doesn't make a difference either way.

What I would do if I were doing this is quite simple. I would make a vocal track and then rerecord that track to another. Solo the vocal track so only the vocals are being recorded. Patch the output of the PC thru the Aardvark's reverb and back to the PC so it is recorded.

I don't know exactly how you really want to do it but that would be the simplest way.

I happen to be using a Behringer MX602A so I can send any track (or all) thru my rack processor if I want. Right now I am just using the effects that come with the software.

This probably isn't what you want and sorry that I can't help anymore. Wish you the best of luck.

Oh... have you noticed that Calkwalk is not even supporting their own BBS?

Ron warren

Post by Ron warren » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:16 am

If I can record the vocal track and then add Aardvark reverb that would be great. I have been adding reverb from Aardvark's reverb send and then recording. Your suggestion is not real clear to me (remember I'm still on the learning curve). I'm still not sure how to rerecord a track. Try to break it down for me step by step. When you said "patch the pc thru Aardvark's reverb" I was not sure what you meant.

Thanks a lot.

Ron warren

Post by Ron warren » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:45 am

I was playing around with my plug-ins and decided to try something. This afternoon I downloaded some blue line (direct x) plug-ins from digilogue.de and have been listening to their effects. Their reverb is ok but not as good as Aardvark. I decided to record two tracks at one time, one panned left and the other right. I first had a blue line reverb on both tracks and then recorded, but when I played back there was no sound. So, for some reason, I used a blue line reverb effect on one and a Cakewalk stereo reverb on the other, and then proceeded to record. The sound was really nice! This has definite possibilities. The sound was full and very clean. I'd love to compare it with Aardvark's if I can record it.

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:10 pm

Ron,,
When I say to rerecord, I mean to use the vocal track on CW as the source. I'll break it down for you.

Lets start with an empty CW page. You have your mic plugged into the Aardvark (I guess) and the Aardvark is connected to the PC LINE IN. Or are you useing the Aardvark PC card for input or output?

Arm an audio track by sellecting the R on the track. It should trun red. Now press the R key on your keyboard. Speak into the mic. Then press the SPACE bar on the keyboard and that will end the recording process. Unarm this track so you don't record over it. Click on the red R and it should turn to a normal color. You should see an AUDIO track in CW. Play it back to make sure you have something and can hear it.

Now insert another audio track. Arm this track by clicking on the R to turn it red. Now press the R key on the keyboard. The audio from the first track you recorded should be heard in your speakers. When it is finished, press the SPACE bar to stop the recording process. If everything is connected correctly and you were successful, then you have just rerecorded your previous track.

If that is the case, then you should be aboe to apply reverb to that track as you were recording it. But then again, you should still be able to apply reverb to the first track WHEN you did the first recording. But if you have too much then you will have to record it over and over again.

I am sure that I am confusing the heck out of you. I am sorry about that. Can you tell me HOW you have your system hooked up? And, is this the Aadrvard Pro 24/96? I looked at the manual and there is a section in there about CW and using the Aardvard. I am sure you looked that over.

oops

Post by oops » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:29 am

Choose stereo 5/6 in Cakewalk as the input..
Adjust Aardvark control panel for desired reverb.
Hit record after arming the track. The reverb should have been recorded into the track.. Thats it. Add a compressor or up the volume to the track so you can actually hear it.. The Aardvark takes some time to get used to getting a really hot signal without clipping. Once you do the reverb works well for vocals,, shitty for anything percussive as it adds a sibilance sound to the track.. Try a bass guitar and you will see what I mean.. If this doesn't work.. Record a vocal track dry.. Then add another track and arm it to 5/6,, adjust reverb on Aardvark control panel, Record the track,, The revererated vocal will be on the second track for sure... Good luck.
Wayne Dupuis
http://www.rightwingprocuctions.com