Mobile Pre USB Card- Andy Chap Are U there ? I need help !!

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
Dino

Post by Dino » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:37 am

Gretscguy,

I AM using my external for all my songs and files. It's working fine as far as recording and playback of all my stuff. You see, my internal HD is only 6 GB. Yes, that's right (Don't Laugh! :)) You heard me right ! My external however is 120 GB and it works fine for all files once I finally upgraded to USB 2.0. When I had USB 1.0, It didn't work at all. I got a dropout per second. So I didn't know if all the other file groups should be directed to my internal where Sonar's Program Files are stored or my external HD where the actual songs and audio files are stored. I will have to go to the Sonar bible, for this. Hey on another note, what have you heard about the Tascam US -122 USB Card ? As always Thank you for your time and patience !

Sincerely,

Dino

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:08 pm

Dino,
I would say if you are using the external drive you should still point to your internal drive while working on a project. WHen your done, move it over to the external drive. You could save lots of probs by buying a decent sized internal (I have 80GB) audio drive for your pc. Then, install Sonar on this internal drive. Things will run better.

As far as the Tascam, I haven't heard anything. It seems non-expandable so if it suits all your needs (now and within the next few years) it's probably worth it. If you think you'll outgrow it, better to save for something new.

You may want to look into one of the used lower cost digital mixers out there that offer the same features (plus more - internal effects, eq, etc...).

I'm sure it's decent if Tascam is making it, just be sure it fits your needs

Dino

Post by Dino » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:48 am

I see your point about the internal drive. I may have to upgrade. The main thing I did not check when I had bought the MobilePre USB was the drivers it came with. Nowhere did it say WDM drivers. The Tascam US-122 does state that it does in fact have WDM as well as ASIO drivers. I'm just wondering if Sonar will allow me to use them. On Tweaks site, he downplays the whole USB Sound Card thing, do you feel the same ?

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:50 pm

I do not care for USB Audio. I don't think that my reasoning has much validity these days, but I will explain my position to you anyway.

When Tascam first introduced the US-422 (The little blue looking thing), I thought it looked very cool. It was touted as a USB and Audio interface for low money. A great idea, as there were no devices doing that at the time.

Tascam used to have a a user forum on their site and due to the problems experienced with this device, they actually removed the forum. People had so many issues that it was crazy. Also driver releases were very late (or never happened) and all sorts of wierd issues crept up.

I have seen a lot of people mention similar problems with different (USB) devices that people had with the Tascam.

On the other hand, firewire seems to been made to work on many devices quite well.

While it is true USB 2.0 is actually a bit faster than Firewire, I haven't seen any audio devices that use it (well) so I am reluctant to get involved with it.

On the other hand, MOTU, TC Electronics, FireStation (PreSonus?) and many other manufactures have made great stable devices with awesome features and specs and very current drivers for Firewire.

It seems that Firewire has become sort of a standard for DA, whereas USB has gone by the wayside. I am very excited about Yamaha's MLAN technology (128 midi cables + Digital Audio on a single network cable!) and really think it may take off.

You will probably be able to find people using usb audio that have it working well. I have a bad taste in my mouth because of all the problems I say in the beginning. Although I had lots of midi issues in 1990 too, so only time will tell.

Goog Luck!

Dino

Post by Dino » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:19 am

Thanks for your views on USB. I think generally what you said is the word on the street as well. That's too bad about the Tascam and the forum closing, but if that is what happened and that is what you know, I'm not taking another chance with a bad USB device/card. I would however be interested to know if there ARE ANY USB 2.0 sound cards available on the market. Do you know of ANY ? Is there such a thing ? I just upgraded to USB 2.0 and have no room for a PCI Firewire Card. Actually my USB 2.0 PCI card is occupying my last PCI slot that I had available. I guess it's time for a new PC. I think I milked this Pentium 3 for as long as I could. :) There is no more room to upgrade. Thanks again for your guidance. Everything you have told me is informative and seems to come from experience. I apreciatte the the knowledge.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:56 pm

Dino,
I would suggest a PCI based pro soundcard (there are tons out there) or a Firewire interface (motu, etc...).

I think what you are looking for is a USB 2.0 audio interface. I know there are some at:
http://www.edirol.com/

That look promising. Again, I would not reccomend them just becasue of the issues I outlined above. My oppinions are based mainly on bad driver issues and USB 1.0, so I wouldn't take what I said as gospal.

I would highly reccomend Firewire Motu, Presonus or a PCI based pro soundcard.

Glad to help and good luck!

desmarais7

Post by desmarais7 » Wed May 26, 2004 3:51 pm

Hi,

I would like to know if you finally found the solution??

I have bought the same mobilePre and I have the same problem.

Couls you help me

Thanks

Pierre Desmarais
desmarais7@hotmail.com