Sequencing in live performance

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
philly_sax

Post by philly_sax » Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:49 pm

I play sax in a band but also have a a wind synthesizer/MIDI controller (Yamaha WX5). I can play different instruments with it, but I'm looking to add some tracks of other instruments to our live performance. For example, we do not have a keyboard player, ad in some songs, I'd like to add some piano or organ accopaniment. I have Cakewalk Music Studio 2003. As I understand it, I need a sequencer, but since I do not always play my WX5 during a song (unlike a drummer or keyboardist), how do I keep the MIDI track(s) in time with the band. The rhythym section is driving the band. Can I add something to the drummer's kit which would tell the sequencer the tempo? Can I use a foot switch controller to keep the tempo? What are "clicks"? Any books which would specifically address this?

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:17 pm

If your drummer is good enough to play to a click track this wouldn't be a problem.

To answer your question, a click track is a signal sent to a drummer via headphones (usually) that consists of a 'click'. He/she would hear the click through their headphones and play along to it.

In order to play back midi tracks, you could simply hit a key on your synth to trigger the part you wanted, or buy (or build) a simple midi trigger for your drummer to hit to start the sequence.

A ggod book for understanding midi is Paul Lehrer's MIDI For The Professional.

I hope this answers your questions.

Good Luck!