Show Stopping Problem in Music Creator

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
mondo shaking

Post by mondo shaking » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:51 am

I recently purchased Music Creator as an upgrade from an older version of Cakewalk software that I used to have (an older Home Studio). I thought that it would fix my problem, but the problem still persists.

When I load up a file and press play, everything works fine until I press stop. When I press stop, whatever note the computer is playing is held as the software freezes. I don't know how long this goes on until, but I can make it stop by waiting about nine seconds, and then pressing Control Alt Delete, which will interrupt the freeze and return control to the software. I've tried installing Music Creator on a different computer, and this behavior didn't exist. Even on my older computer, the older Cakewalk worked fine. But now on this computer, neither Music Creator or the older Cakewalk software will work as expected (where stop literally stops everything without any problems). What should I do?

EDIT: I installed Music Creator on my roommate's computer... It has the same exact hardware configuration. The primary difference between our computers is that I have XP and he has 2000. But again, I tried Music Creator on my Mom's computer which is XP. So with those situations, I suspect that it isn't XP's fault or the hardware's fault... Maybe it's both. Or maybe I have a very sloppy environment...

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:48 am

This is all to do with the configeration of your equipment. It would be difficult to speculate what is causing it without knowing exactly what you have. The quickest way to stop the stuck note is to press the Transport control Reset button (the one with the yellow exclamation mark in some versions and a stressed face in others) located near the transport control.

You could also try disabling midi thru in the options dialogue. If you are using an external keyboard as a controller then make sure the local settings are switched to off.

I wouldn't think it's anything to do with the OS it's more likely to be a problem with soundcard drivers or something like that.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:05 pm

andychap wrote:This is all to do with the configeration of your equipment. It would be difficult to speculate what is causing it without knowing exactly what you have. The quickest way to stop the stuck note is to press the Transport control Reset button (the one with the yellow exclamation mark in some versions and a stressed face in others) located near the transport control.

You could also try disabling midi thru in the options dialogue. If you are using an external keyboard as a controller then make sure the local settings are switched to off.
This isn't about a single note that's giving me problems. It's about stopping playback, and having Music Creator lock up after doing that. While it's locked up, I can't press any buttons and the last note that was playing is held.

I'm not using any sort of external equipment, I'm just trying to play files. The system stalling even happens when I don't select anything for Midi Out. That in itself makes me suspect that my soundcard is OK, but my system is not.

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:07 am

If the system is freezing then you can try the fixes mentioned in the Sonar section under Sonar 3 freezing. They are generally good for most cakewalk products.