CW Pro Audio 9 wave recording problem - Help

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
devman

Post by devman » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:11 am

I'm trying to record long segments (2+ hours) from my sound cards line in to a wave file. Cakewalk appears to be recording properly throughout the process, but when I stop the recording and review the data, it's incomplete. The first 20-40 minutes (varies) record perfectly, but after that the track contains no data. I have previously recorded using Adobe Audition with the same hardware for over 4 hours, so I know it's not a hardware issue. If anyone can help me resolve this I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:39 am

You are probably reaching a file size limit somewhere. 40 mins is about 400 meg so it would be quite a hefty file.

Check the options in you cakewalk app and see if there is a limit on file sizes or maximum recording lengths.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:47 pm

Also, check your system to see if there is a permisson as to how big a file you can save on your machine.

I used to use PA9 to record conferences (webcasts) for archival purposes at work. Most were at least an hour and I never had the above problem.

Also, make sure your disk is not defragged, becasue your audio file needs a nice clean place to live.

Good Luck!

devman

Post by devman » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:57 pm

I couldn't find any setting in cakewalk limiting file size, besides, if that were the case, I would expect to have the recording stop at the same point every time.

As for permissions, I'm running as administrator on win2k and have created 3-4 gig files previously with an adobe audition demo.

I hadn’t considered fragmentation. I'll check that and let you know.

My thanks to both of you.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:57 pm

Fragmentation and also disc size will play a huge part in recording time.

Monk-E

Post by Monk-E » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:37 pm

I had many problems trying to use cakewalk with my 32bit 192 kHz 4 track rack mount recorder ESI192X. I bought Audition and all has been great for multi gigabite multi waves. Well it crashes when the power goes out. Hmmm How about that.
Cool thing is the next time you open it it ask if you want to continue with the last recording and it loads up.