Need basic MIDI/soft synth help/tutorial

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
BrianB

Post by BrianB » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:31 pm

In my attempts to use a MIDI track routed to a soft synth in order to set up a template with a click track, I have realized I need a better foundation in the world MIDI, softsysnths, and how Cakewalk uses these resources.

If anyene knows of a good online tutorial or previous thread to get me started, I'd really appreciate it. Something that doesn't assume much. I tried doing some searches, but most tell me what to use (DXi, softsynths, piano roll, etc.), but not really how to use them.

I am using Cakwalk Pro Audio 9. I have downloaded a few drum synths (ErsDrums, Drumatic). However, when I unzip them I basically get a .dll file and a readme file. I am totally clueless as to what I am supposed to do with these files.

I tried to extract them to my cakewalk folder where other .dll files were present. I set up a MIDI track using the console view. I then go into the piano roll and make a few stabs at that, but I can not figure out how to route the stuff and can only get sounds from my soundcard.

I have the manual printed out, but there is nothing I can find specific to my goal and it's a bit like a jig saw puzzle.

Anyway, that's enough to show how clueless I am and to outline my feeble attempts. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

(I am using an Aardvark 24/96 for digital sudio and also have a Creative Soundblaster soundcard installed)

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:25 am

Try googling Computermusic magazine and Sound on Sound magazine. Both these publications have articles and tutorials on midi and softsynths. CM Magazine also have step by step workshops, you might find one that you need.