Creative Audigy/Midi

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
John

Post by John » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:14 pm

I have just installed the latest Creative Audigy card, and I am wondering why. It gives me nothing my old card didn't, although I suspect it's my lack of knowledge that is at fault, as opposed to the soundcard.

What I want to do is improve the sound of my midi. The General Midi just doesn't sound good enough. I had thought the new card would have better sounding violins, organs etc on it. But they are identical to previous.

Is it possible to download better sounds from somewhere and sort of "map" them to the card, so I can manipulate them on the piano roll?

Any help on how I do this ( if I can) would be most appreciated.

Remember, you are dealing with a total cakewalk dolt here!

many Thanks.

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:00 pm

There are loads of free and commercial soundfonts on the net. Load these onto the Audigy and you will find these a lot better than GM Midi sounds.

Look at softsynths as well they usually sound a hell of a lot better. Cakewalk give the Edirol VSC free with Sonar and Home studio.

Only other option would be a hardware midi module like Roland or Yamaha etc. These still require work to get them sounding good.

John

Post by John » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:12 pm

Thanks for that, Andy.

I've located and downloaded loads of great sounding soundfonts and can hear them via the Soundfont Bank Manager software that came bundled with the sound card.

Next step is to "map" them to a track in Cakewalk so I can use them in Piano Roll. Any advice on how to do this? Anyone?

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:12 pm

Select the creative A or B synth (I think) as your midi out put. Go to options instruments and highlight whatever tracks you need on the left hand side of the window and select soundfont on the right. You will now be able to select the soundfont you require for each track. This method is suitable for multiple soundfont banks.

Alternatively go to options > Soundfont and attach the soundfont directly to the track. This method is suitable for single soundfonts.

Or load up the Livesynth pro DXI and play your soundfont though this. This method means that you soundfont will be playing through the audio part of you card so when you are ready to record the track as audio you can just bounce it down. This method is suitable single sounfonts although the light version only has a 1 meg limit the full version can load soundfonts of any size.