quiet mic

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
C

Post by C » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:10 am

when i plugged my guitar into line in and played, the resulting sound was
at a good level and playback was quite loud,however, when i plugged the mic in to mic jack, the levels were good but the resulting sound was very
very quiet. is there something i did wrong or special settings

firestorm

Post by firestorm » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:34 am

i assume you are plugging into a mixer?

then all mic inputs must be amplified by the pre-amps, which are commonly built-into new generation mixers...

if mic is condenser, you need phantom power... which is also available on most mixers...

all line inputs need not pre-amplification and needs to be gain-rided, that's all (meaning volume adjusted to your taste)

~~
if you plug the line and mic into sound cards direct, check the sound cards manual for settings.... usually it's setting problem.... check the software that comes with it.....

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:24 pm

Sounds like you're using your soundcard. There should be a mic input as well as a line input. Plug your mic into the mic input. It has a little preamp built in which will boost the level.

If you only have a line input -

- click the little speaker in the lower right hand side of your taskbar

- options/properties/recording

- adjust the volume for your mic/line here so it is at a healthy level before Cakewalk gets it.

C

Post by C » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:21 am

I do have the mic plugged in to the mic imput but no boost, maybe my mic imput is not working right or not set up right ??
i am not plugged into a mixer of any kind, maybe that is the route i need to take

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:44 am

Are you using a mic that requires phantom power? I know it's a shot in the dark, but that would cause your mic not to work

c

Post by c » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:59 pm

thnx for the help, pre amp did the trick