Midi Import?

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
MrBogus

Post by MrBogus » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:03 pm

I have a program called JAMMER - which I have found pretty helpful (and easy) for creating midi tracks (drums, bass, organ, etc.) for use as accompaniment for my guitar tracks/voice.

I was wondering if Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 would allow me to import these midi tracks as separate instrument tracks, so that these tracks (drum, bass, organ) can be edited from within Home Studio, as well as the tracks I record directly (my guitars and vocals)?

Does the midi (if importable) keep the various instruments sepatate or does it all come in on one track?

Thanks for your help...

- Bogus

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:54 pm

See if Jammer will let you export each track as a .smf (standard midi file). I would imagine it would.

If so just export them then import them into cakewalk set up the correct ports/patches and you'll be good to go.

I used to do a similar this with band in the box

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:39 pm

Yep, no problem exporting tracks from Jammer. Just choose the export midi file option from the file menu. It will open up in Cakewalk no problem. Make sure you always use GM drums though in Jammer because it splits your drum tracks down and if you use any other sort of drum set up you will have to transpose them all in the piano roll.

Don't forget you can inmport the track back into Jammer. It will sit in the arrange page in it's own tracks which are difficult to edit but it gives you the chance to add more and more all the time.

Some of my work is backwards an forwards loads of times, especially good for adding harmonies.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:49 pm

If you are using Jammer Pro 4 or earlier, or one of the lesser Jammer's (Songmaker, etc.) you can "Export MIDI File" or "Export Format 0 MIDI file" from the "File" menu in the upper left corner. Don't do the "Format 0" choice because that will merge all the tracks onto one track. The other choice will save all your vol, pan, etc. settings to import to Cakewalk. Be sure that your MIDI devices are set the same in both programs (i.e., make sure Port 1 in Jammer is not something Creative S/W synth, and Port 1 in Cakewalk isn't something like SB Live! MIDI Synth, etc.,) or the MIDI file will sound different. Match the ports, to save time and trouble. You can also just send the Jammer file to the clipboard, and import it to Cakewalk, but I always just save the file, close Jammer, locate the file, and open it in Cakewalk.
If you have Jammer Pro 5, you can "Save as", and choose MIDI file, though I would also save it as a CMP file. Then just open it in Cakewalk. You can also "Export MIDI File", and it will give you choices of a bunch of parameters to save, or not. As before, just don't save as a "Type 0".
Jammer Pro is a great program for starting the basic outline of a tune. With Jammer and Cakewalk, and a bunch of CALs and some MIDI knowledge....and a lot of tweaking...a person can create some pretty amazing stuff!
Hope this helped.
HDB

MrBogus

Post by MrBogus » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:10 am

Thanks a bunch... I just got Home Studio 2004 and I am using Jammer Pro 5, so I see from your posts I should not have a problem with the midi import...

Thanks again for your help... Now to start production...

- Devin