Guitar input

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
John

Post by John » Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:18 pm

Does this happen to anyone else?

When I plug my guitar ( accoustic with a built in pickup ) into the Line In 2 of my Audigy2 card, I find that, if I push the plug all the way in, I can only hear/record to the left channel and if i pull it out a little it will record/hear to the right channel. I little careful manouvering of the plug gets it bang in the middle.

Although this works ok it's by no means ideal. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need other plugs or leads?

Any help gratefully received.

( by the way, also does this with my electric guitar )

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:02 pm

Your soundcard has stereo ins. If you look at a stereo plug (like the plug on a set of headphones you'll notice that it looks a little different from a standard mono jack.

When you push the cord halfway in, you are touching both parts of your stereo input jack.

Mackie used this on their 1604 for insert points (I believe).

lespauljr

Post by lespauljr » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:58 pm

Most mixers use the "quarter inch stereo plug" on their insert points, but call them TRS plugs which means Tip, Ring, and Sleeve. The cable you use to plug into this will have a TRS plug at one end, then split into two quarter inch mono plugs at the other. That way one plugs into the input of your effects box and the other plugs into the output of the effects box.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:41 am

Thanks for your contribution, lespaulsr. But I'm afraid I have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry.