ASIO and MME questions

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
BrianB

Post by BrianB » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:36 pm

I recently installed Home Studio 2004 XL. I have an M-Audio MobilePre and an Aardvark 2496 which I use for sources and a Creative Soundblaster which serves no purpose but to generate clicks for me. Anyway, when I installed the software it recognized and mapped the M-Audio and the Soundblaster. However, the Aardvark was not present as a source selection (note: it was present and automatically found when I installed Home Audio 9 the first time a few years ago).

After reading about (yet not understanding) MME and ASIO, I decided to play with that. It turns out if I set the software to MME it finds the Aardvark and everything works just fine. I'm glad that after reinstalling the soundcard and software several times a simple setting finally made it all work, but I really have no idea why and would like to know what that setting actually does and if the MME bit rating matters.

Please let me know if that doesn't make any sense. These things are not explained well in any literature I have encountered.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:48 pm

If your soundcard supports ASIO drivers, I would strongly suggest you use them.

mme has a higher latency time than asio. mme are the most common drivers. if you can't get asio drivers, wdm drivers will give you better performance.

BrianB

Post by BrianB » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:20 pm

Is there any reason why Home Studio does not recognize or map (if thst's the correct term) my aardvark soundcard when "use default" is selected?

If I select ASIO it brings up the Aardvark input selections, but they are labelled differently than when I used to use Pro Audio 9 and when I use MME in Home Studio. Why would this be different? (note: I have not tested the card and software using ASIO. I have just looked at my options when ASIO is selected)

BrianB

Post by BrianB » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:08 pm

From the Aardvark site:

"To achieve Low Latency performance, Aardvark uses custom A|WDM technology. To use A|WDM, you must instruct SONAR to use MME drivers, instead of WDM. A|WDM circumvents many of WDM’s limitations, providing lower latency and increased stability. "

http://www.aardvarkaudio.com/aasd-v1/do ... orial.html

I'm still not clear on what all this means, but, assuming Sonar and Home Studio act the same way, it seems I actually set Home Studio to use MME drivers in order to use the A-WDM drivers, which sound like they're better than all other options, yes?

However, this is conflicted by the Cakewalk Sonor quickstart guide which instructs you to select ASIO as the driver mode.

http://www.aardvarkaudio.com/aasd-v1/pr ... sonar.html

Can I select ASIO driver mode AND "always use MME interface, even when WDM drivers are available"?

They sure make this easy, huh?

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:22 pm

quote:
Can I select ASIO driver mode AND "always use MME interface, even when WDM drivers are available"?

You want to use one or the other. ASIO drivers are more efficent (faster) than mme or wdm drivers.

Providing the drivers are written correctly ASIO drivers will give you the best performance and lowest latency time. I would use them.

If you find some oddball system problem and it's solved by using mme or wdm drivers - use whatever one works best.

For me - my latency settings could be increased when using asio drivers with no noticeable difference in responce time when compared to other types.

Find what works with your system and use what's best. If you want my opinion I would go with asio.

You should try reading pp 757-580 in the manual. This will explain things for you in a bit more detail!

BrianB

Post by BrianB » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:27 pm

Thanks.

The manual is on the disc, I take it. It sure wasn't in the box.