See if you can figure this out!

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
Mbrander

Post by Mbrander » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:39 pm

I'm kinda new to this whole Sonar program. I have been following the tutorial to learn the basics. I got to the part of recording audio. I have hit the record button and it shows it being recorded in the clips pane, but once I hit the stop button the audio that looks as though it is recording disapears. I can not seem to figure out why, looking thru troubleshooting or these forums. Whats strange to me is I can go out the sound recorder that comes with windows 2k and record fine. I just don't understand why Sonar wont let me!...Please help (I'm at the end of my string). :?:

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:55 am

Sounds to me as though you haven't got your audio input correctly selected.

On the audio track itself look in the audio in drop down box and you should see the input for you card choose the stereo one or the other mono L or R and see if that makes a difference.

Also make sure that you have the correct bit rate and frequency selected for your sound card. Many sound cards claim 24/96 capabilities but that is for playback only, they will only record at 16/41 or 48.

Try those and see what happens.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:42 pm

Thank you for replying,

Thru the tutorial I already made sure that I had the correct audio input I have tried L and R and also stereo. And I also believe that I had it set at 48, I will check when i get home. If not can you think of anything else? I'm baffled! Thanks again.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:31 am

If you are using WDM drivers for your soundcard then try moving the slider to the right and increasing the latency a bit.

If you are using ASIO drivers then increase the buffer size in the ASIO control panel.

Sometimes what you experience happens to me when I set my latency below 5ms. Sonar seems to record alright but it doesn't stop properly when you press the stop button and the waveform doesn't appear. It works fine when I set the latency to 6ms or above.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:33 pm

K...

It gives me three options for driver usage...

Driver Used Result

WDM/KS Recording good, no midi
ASIO Nothing works
MME (32 bit) Midi works, no recording

Thank you for helping me get the recording thing to work, but for some reason when changing to WDM from MME my midi output stopped... do you have a solution for that?

Thanks

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:06 am

There is no solution for that.

I always use MME whilst in the composing stage and use the MS GS wavetable. Then change to WDM/KS when I start converting or recording audio.

If you stay in WDM mode you will have to play all your midi through the Edirol VSC DXi.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:50 pm

Andy

Thank you for all your reply's you really me helped out alot with getting this program to co-operate!...

Thank you