Problems with audio recording in Sonar 6... line vs mic in?

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
chris_hedeen

Post by chris_hedeen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:25 pm

Hi there.

I am pretty new to the whole Sonar scene (using Sonar 6 Producer's ed), as I haven't upgraded since Cakewalk Pro 7. Also, I haven't tried recording in about 5 years.

So here's the problem. I plugged in my synth (Alesis QS6.1) to the line-in port on my Audigy 2, and I get no levels bouncing or anything in Sonar. I have a 5.1 speaker setup, and have tried all of the different channels for the output, as well as trying different inputs (left, right, stereo) on my soundcard in Sonar. But nothing works. The strange thing is, I can hear the synth even when there are no levels, and even in Windows before I launch Sonar. But no levels on the meter in Sonar.

Now, I can plug the synth into the mic-in port, when I can then see levels and hear it and everything, but then I have this terrible line noise that sounds like a cable was unplugged half-way from a guitar amp.

So am I just a total noob and screwing something really obvious up, or do I need a pre-amp before I go to the line in on my audigy 2, or what's the deal? I have tried everything and am super confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.

Chris

kensmith2000

Post by kensmith2000 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:07 pm

Hi.
Have you tried to arm a track in Sonar and check the record option in the audigy mixer line in?
then you have to select in input track from Sonar your audigy.

let me know something about.

Cheers