Changing MIDI Outputs in Pro Audio 9.

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
seskanda

Post by seskanda » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:28 am

I know PA9 lets me use multiple MIDI devices as output. But, it seems throughout a whole song each MIDI track is assigned to ONE MIDI device (Soundblaster synth, for example) Can i switch it to another device (e.g. MS GS Wavetable synth) during specific moments, like in the middle of the song, or whenever i want to?

HDB

Post by HDB » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:50 am

I don't think so. Once the track is is assigned to a specific output, it stays with that output. You can change patches and banks on a specific device, but not devices. And if you think about it, that would greatly confuse things anyway. At least with the device that is actually being used showing in the tracks window, you'll know what is playing. If you change the device mid-tune, then it probably wouldn't change the device name, and you'll be reaching for the wrong mixer fader, etc.

You CAN copy a track, or a portion the track, and paste into a new track at the exact same time period. Then change the track output assignments. You can then leave, mute or delete that portion in the original track.

If you leave it, you can just use it as a layered sound. (I do a LOT of layering).

If you assign, in the event list editor, "volume=0" at the start of that portion, then bring it back to it's previous level at the end, then the data will be there, it will just be silent during that time.

If you delete that portion of the original if you know you will never need it again, then it won't be sending MIDI data, which helps since your copied track will probably be sending that exact same data at the same time, and could lead to MIDI choke if you do that to enough tracks.

Best bet is to copy the track (or portion), assign it to it's very own set of parameters, and know what's going on at all times. Believe me, even bank and patch changes in a track can lead to confusion. Changing a device mid-track would be a nightmare.
Hope that helped.

HDB