Playback issue - faster speed, higher pitch

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
Matty!

Post by Matty! » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could help me with an issue I have please.

Gear:
PC: AMD Athlon X2
Ram: 3GB
DAW: Sonar 6 Producer
Soundcard: M-Audio 2496

I record a friend's duo the other day away from home. At the time I noticed that Sonar was tracking very slowly and the 3 minute songs were showing as 1:30 in Sonar. It was playing back OK and overdubbing was no problem. I thought it would be OK.

When I brought my hard drive back home I was unable to get any sound from my Soundcard other than a low pitched hum. I updated the drivers and that seemed to fix the problem.

I then opened Sonar to start work mixing and now all the tracks are playing in real time according to Sonar and that is resulting in my tracks being played too fast. I have an 'analog effect' where the tracks are being played at double time and an octave higher - like a 'chipmunk' effect.

I have Googled my problem and I have tried changing the Soundcard sample rate but that has had no effect.

If anyone has any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I am new to digital recording and rather unfamiliar with Sonar - it is likely that I have missed something obvious! At this stage my only 'solution' is to time & pitch stretch every track until it sounds right, which I really don't think is the best option!

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Matty!

Matty!

Post by Matty! » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:51 pm

Thanks to all who viewed.

I will post this question elsewhere in case others have any ideas. If I find an answer I will post it here to help others in the future.

Cheers,
Matty.

techead

Post by techead » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:12 am

Matty! wrote:Thanks to all who viewed.

I will post this question elsewhere in case others have any ideas. If I find an answer I will post it here to help others in the future.

Cheers,
Matty.
Perhaps it is a sample-rate issue. Check to make sure the correct sample rate is being used on your system.