freezing

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
lunatics@bendnet.com

Post by lunatics@bendnet.com » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:32 pm

I have been using Pro Audio 9 successfully for about 2.5 years. I have a Pentium III and 128 ram. The other day I was organizing files into folders and suddenly I was no longer able to play or record files. I can bring Cakewalk up, arm tracks, etc. but as soon as I punch play or record the whole computer freezes. I backed everything up (I could still make bundle files) and then uninstalled the program and then reinstalled. No good - the problem remains. No other program on my computer is having this problem. I called Cakewalk and found that they don't offer phone support for Pro Audio 9 anymore. I checked on their website and all I can find is a relatively useless faq with no way to ask questions. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is wrong OR how I can get help from the company? Thanks
Tom Scott

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:13 pm

You will have probably moved the files and folder to which Cakewalk saves your audio data when recording. As a bundle the files are within the project file but as a normal file they are stored elswhere.

Go into option > audio and find the page with all the file paths are set. The easiest way is to see where your audio data folder and your picture cache should be and put them back. If not, create new paths to where they exist now.

With your paths set correctly, reload your bundle files and play them through once then save as a project (normal) file and it will place the audio and wave graphics back in their respective folders.

Andy

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:39 am

Thanks for your input, Andy. Wouldn't unsinstalling and then reinstalling the program put all the files and paths back in order? One odd thing is that I can't record a new project even after freshly reinstalling the program. Could there be pieces of the program that don't get uninstalled with my "add/remove programs" feature on my computer? Thanks again!
Tom

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:55 am

I have found in the past that not all files are removed on uninstall especially user data files. It is best to run the uninstall and then check and manually delete them. I know when I upgraded to Sonar and then uninstalled Pro Audio it left loads of files on my system but I didn't know if any of them where in use by Sonar, so I left them.

Some time later I did a HD reformat and when I reinstalled Sonar it didn't need any of them files anyway.

I can't think of anything now, It seems like an age since I used PA. Have you tried all the tweaking exercise on the system just in case it is a conflict in windows. Things like reducing the graphics acceleration by one click can sometimes help.

I'll have a think and sift through some old paperwork and see if I can find anything. If I do I'll post back.