CAKEWALK AND PLUGINS QUERY

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
andikeep2580

Post by andikeep2580 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:27 am

Hi. I am new here and am looking for some advice.

I have Sonar 7 and generally use it for MIDI with my Roland Fantom XR.

I purchased a VST plugin called Bluecat Digital peak meter pro which has a really good sidechain compressor that can output controller information using an audio track as the source.

Trouble is I cant get it to generate any cc information. The tutorial explains how to set it up to control another AUDIO plugin but all I need is to generate MIDI data.

So I guess I must be making a mistake with the routing somehow.

If anybody has any ideas it would be much appreciated. I have included the url for the user guide. Thanks

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Tutorials/T ... terPro_01/

andikeep2580

Post by andikeep2580 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:29 am

...And just incase I left some confusion, I have a kick drum audio track as the source, and want to send cc information to my fantom xr.

Thanks

revnice

Post by revnice » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:36 pm

andi:

I couldn't be bothered with the manual :)

Are you sure it can output controler data using an Audio track? That sounds either very clever or very fishy. It's usually difficult to convert or interpret audio data and get useable MIDI.

Assuming you're right about that part, can Bluecat actually capture or output the MIDI data to a file? It may only be able to send it to another plug.

What data are you trying to generate, maybe there's another way to get it.

rev

andikeep2580

Post by andikeep2580 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:28 pm

Thanks for your reply Rev,

I am sure that Blucat uses audio to generate MIDI cc information. It is the only sidechain compressor plugin that has this kind of functionality.

I just want it to generate volume controller information at this stage. I wasnt sure if it generated a file, I guess I thought it would add the MIDI events to the track I defined in the Blucat setup page - but it didnt work!

I think I am just going to try it with another plugin to see if that works. It just seemed strange to have to use two plugins when the Blucat setup allows to just specify which MIDI channel and controller number to use.

Thanks again, will post back with the result.

Andi.

revnice

Post by revnice » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:36 pm

I took a look at the tut.

Cool feature but it didn't say anything about being able to capture or output the MIDI data to a file. Question for Bluecat support (if you have a registered copy).

Otherwise - what about a simple audio to MIDI converter prog - that would generate all the data you want. Drop the resulting file into Sonar and view/edit the data in the Event List view.

I've had pretty good results with Amazing MIDI (better than Intelliscore) but it depends what's being analyzed. If want MIDI data from a drum track or a piano part it works pretty well.

rev

andikeep2580

Post by andikeep2580 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:23 pm

Do you know any audio to MIDI programs that I could use? Like you said, I think if I had the MIDI data I could edit it to suit anyway.

Andi

revnice

Post by revnice » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:46 am

I've tried three. One I can't remember, the others were Intelliscore and Amazing MIDI. Of those two Amazing MIDI is better.

There are cracked versions out there but if you can't find them, let me know, they might be small enough to email

rev

andikeep2580

Post by andikeep2580 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks again for the reply. I have already downloaded intelliscore but I havnt got round to trying it yet. I will download the other program you said too.