Difference between Cakewalks Music Creator 2002 and 2003?

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
melkoriii

Post by melkoriii » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:33 pm

Hello all,

I am looking at getting Cakewalks Music Creator 2002 or 2003.

What is the differnece between them? Iv been told that there is almost no difference but Im looking for spasifics.

I dont know much about the software and I am not very savy with music creating software.

Any comments on these two pieces of software is also welcome.

Thanks.

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:28 pm

Looking at them they are both cheap and cheerful music making programs.

It depends what you want to do, not only now but in the future. Don't forget that as time goes by your music making abilities will get better and you will soon outgrow a program like Music Creator.

The first thing I noticed is that it has no midi features. This means you will have record live or pencill the notes in one by one. This drag and dropping of loops is the basis for even the cheapest of music programs like Ejay which they are giving away these days.

The Edirol Sound Canvas is not a bad playback synth but you will not be able to use it to record live due to latency unless you have a £100 plus soundcard. Given that there is no midi support that means you will have to pencil the notes in one by one. See how limiting it can be.

I would suggest that you at least start off with Home Studio 2004, if it is too expensive for you then look around for copies of HS2003 in computer shops and try to get the price knocked down with it being old software.

At least HS2004 will give you more growing room and HS2004XL more still.

I know this game can be very overwhelming when you first start off, but its worth it in the end.

Hope that helps and come back and ask again if you are in doubt about anything.