Bit Rate & Sample Rate settings when recording

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
bricorr

Post by bricorr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:03 am

Hello,
Is it best to record audio at its highest bit rate and sample rate settings ?
I'm using Sonar 8 Producer, and it was set to automatically record at 32 bit and sample rate at 44.100.
Would there be any benefit to "Change Audio Format" to 64 bit, or if I were to save these 32 bit 44.100 audio tracks
at 64 bit and a sample rate at 192000 ? Would it make any differences, or would it have been better to record at
64 bit 192000 in the first place ?
Wondering if I should start over & re-record everything with Sonar 8 set at 64 bit at 192000 ?
My computer seems to handle these highest settings with no problem, so I wonder if I should be using them for all recording & playback.

Also wondering, I found that I can burn a CD from a Sonar Master with a sample rate of 192000.
Is there any benefit to having the Master with a higher sample rate setting than the standard 44.100 for CD's ?

Thank you in advance for your replies and thoughts on this.

skowix

Post by skowix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi,
It is like when you work with images. The source file has a greater resolution. You have to ask yourself where your work will be heard. Standard playback devices use 44100Hz with 32bit and lower. Greater sound "resolution" might be needed only while you work with highest quality microphones in a great studio and record some very sophisticated instruments which require a great deal of post production. In other cases is rather overkill :) Especially when you work with samples which sometimes come in 44 kHz and 32bit but usually are not so genuine.

Assuming the above I'd recommend you using standard settings as you will not be able to hear the difference.
Why, let the stricken deer go weep,
The hart ungalled play;
For some must watch, while some must sleep:
So runs the world away
Downtempo classical trippin. Can you sample Shakespeare?

Gentorra

Post by Gentorra » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:54 am

I still do many things. Well not good enough I want everyone's opinions.

Rachelnut

Post by Rachelnut » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:24 am

It's a really good rate. I really like It is very helpful.