Wave out mix?

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
socgeek

Post by socgeek » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:43 pm

When I try to record my guitar using the "microphone" input and slider on the "audio properties/recording control" panel, the signal comes in a little fuzzy and has no sustain. However, the signal comes through great when I record using the "wave out" input. Unfortunately, now I cannot figure out how to keep the previous track fom bleeding onto the next track I record. In fact, the next track records the previous track at double volume! I have tried adjusting my port settings, but nothing seems to work. BTW, I have a Soundmax sound card.

Please help!

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:55 pm

Use line in. Guitar is a line level signal. You are overloading your input!

socgeek

Post by socgeek » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:40 pm

Thanks for your response GretscGuy! 2 things:

1) I think that must be it. My laptop has no "line in", unfortunately! After looking around on the web I have discovered that many laptops don't have this, which sucks for me. I guess I will have to look into some sort of USB soundcard.

2) I must tell you this, though.... even when I run an actual microphone into my mic input and record my guitar acoustically through that, the same fuzziness and lack of sustain happens! So I think there may be something wrong with my soundcard. What do you think?

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:02 am

Have you tried adjusting the mic level in your windows mixer?

click on the speaker in the lower right of your taskbar

options/properties/recording

check the level of your mic in. Is it cranked? If it is, turn it down. Play with this setting until you get it to an acceptable level.

Good Luck!