Project Five

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:35 pm

Is anyone using this? I can't seem to find any solid information on what exactly it does. Is it a replacement for Sonar or does it work along side it?

I know you can do sequencing and tracking/looping in Project 5, but I would like some more information on exactly what it would add along side a Sonar 3 setup.

Any users???

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:46 pm

It's a software studio, along the lines of Reason. It does intergrate with Sonar and all the synths and effects are availavle to be used in Sonar as well.

I am currently looking at the demo version but I can't understand much about it. It looks cluttered and very confusing to say the least.

I have asked on other forums and been told it is nowhere near as good as Reason rewired to Sonar and it's worth paying a lot more for it.

You can download the demo from here. http://www.cakewalk.com/download/downlo ... DL&PID=150

kentothink

Post by kentothink » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:49 pm

I'm a big Reason fan. It's easy for me to use and the sounds that come with it are pretty good and it's easy enough to create new samples and put them in there and there's plenty of other sounds available out there legally from samples people are making from their keyboards and things like that.

Project 5 on the other hand, makes me absolutely crazy. It's REALLY hard to use, and it's just not intuitive. If you have dual monitoring, you can spread it out over 2 monitors and have just about enough room to figure out what is what. The sequencer part is okay, but the way you use the instruments and the way you patch effects and drop loops into it is so weird that I may never get it. The BIG plus seems to be that you can use VST instruments in it, unlike Reason which you can only use the devices built into it. I have to say though that when i actually get somethin going on P5 (between the cursing) the quality of sound is really good.

Hope that helps.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:05 am

Thanks for the info. Really doesn't sound like something I would use. I'm not a big looper.

kentothink

Post by kentothink » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:16 pm

Basically, if you don't want to integrate "tracks" and "samples" into your music, you dont need it. If you want that Aimee Mann sound though, it kinda helps!

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:31 pm

I haven't seen Aimie for about 7 years, she used to be my neighbor in Cambridge!

kentothink

Post by kentothink » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:56 am

Hey, if we're gonna go off topic, let's go all the way

her one time producer, my hero, Mike Denneen, is married to Jen Trynin who is in this amazing new band called Loveless at www.lvls.com

i took some of the pics on their site. theyre amazing. want to hear a GREAT recording? check that out.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:43 am

Mike Deneen is a good friend of mine as well.