Open multiple midi files in 1 project in Pro Tracks Plus?

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
granitehead1

Post by granitehead1 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:20 pm

This feels like a question that shouldn't have to asked, but the answer isn't obvious... but then again, I'm a newbie :?
I'd like to build a midi drum track by pasting together clips from DrumTrax; a huge library of midi files. The problem is that Pro Tracks Plus always wants to create a whole new separate project upon opening a(nother) midi file. This is not what I want. I want several midi files open in different tracks in the same project so I can cut-n-paste between them. Importing a file to a track is semantically what I want to do, but PT+ only seems to support importing audio (.wav) files.

Any thoughts on how I can build a drum track from multiple midi files?
Thanks!

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:24 pm

Normally you should only be asked to create a new project when you use the NEW option in the file menu or toolbar. If you use the OPEN option it should open as many files as you want.

Look in the Global options and try unchecking something like "create new project" or Create new folder for each project".

The only other way would be to open two instances of Pro Tracks and copy from one to the other.

granitehead1

Post by granitehead1 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:22 pm

>> Normally you should only be asked to create a new project when you use the NEW option in the file menu or toolbar. If you use the OPEN option it should open as many files as you want.

That would be the obvious way, but unfortunately, that's not the way it works: One open, one project.

>> Look in the Global options and try unchecking something like "create new project" or Create new folder for each project".

No such option.

>>The only other way would be to open two instances of Pro Tracks and copy from one to the other.

Was able to do this via the Windows "Run" command line (dbl. clicking icon only activates already open instance). Copy one to the other worked!!
Thanks much, Andy!

I've got to believe there's an easier way as one would think editting multiple midi files in one project would be an incredibly mainstream thing.

granitehead1

Post by granitehead1 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:52 pm

FYI: daveny5 over at cakewalk.com answered this:
" Simple. Just drag-and-drop them from Windows Explorer. "

Truly is simple and works. Maybe next rev. of the documentation will mention this... :)

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:22 pm

That's fine if you don't want to audition the file first. It seems to be a bit omission in Pro Tracks.