alesis d4 midi problem

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
dglynx

Post by dglynx » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:05 am

hi
i connected the midi in and out ports of the alesis d4 to the joystick port in my sound card. how do i record from my alesis d4 drum to the sonar program? when i hit a drum, no sound comes out from the program (my computer speakers) either. however my microphone works (when i speak into it sound comes out of the program) thank you.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:55 pm

You are recording MIDI data into your pc, not audio. You should see little midi notes deing recorded when you 'play' the dm-4 into Cakewalk. Plug a set of headphones into your dm4 and listen while Cakewalk plays back your sequence, you should hear your performance!

Good Luck

dglynx

Post by dglynx » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:47 pm

thanks a lot sir

dglynx

Post by dglynx » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:13 am

now im recording through audio but there is a 1 or 2 milisecond delay from the time i hit the drum. is there any way i can fix this?
i have win xp
intel p4- 2.0 Ghz
640 mb ddr ram
C-Media CM18738 6-channel audio .
the d4 module is connected to the computer through the microphone jack and the joystick port, however i think im only using the microphone jack to record songs.
thank you.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:59 am

It sounds like you have a good system. You should adjust your latency settings in both Sonar and also on your sound card.

To do this in Sonar 3 (it's the same or very similar in ProAudio or Sonar - Sonar 3)

Options
Audio
Mixing Latency

Also, click the 'Advanced' tab and untick Enable Read Caching and Enable Write Caching

While here, set your I/O Buffer Size at a smaller number than it is right now. If it's high (512) this would probably have a lot to do with your problem, try setting it at 64.

Let us know how you make out!
Good Luck

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:56 am

thanks for the help. now the delay is very tiny. the lowest
i could get the i/o buffer size was 9kb and the mixing latency
39.9msec with buffers in playback que set at 2, without the sound being distorted. however, is there a way to completely obliterate that tiny delay by adjusting something else? thanks a lot.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:10 pm

Well, you could get a better soundcard. Depending on the quality of the soundcard it will give you better performance and drivers capable of the demands of what you're trying to do.

Good Luck!