help with midi issues

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
jcaudle

Post by jcaudle » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:05 pm

Help needed - I have been trying to use Cakewalk Music Creator 03 with a Yamaha PSR 540, linked by an Edirol UM-1 (USB) midi controller. I can get neither input nor output through the keyboard. I have a Hercules sound card installed, but disabled. Have been using the on-board AC '97 sound. Have everything (Cakewalk, sound/multimedia on Control Panel) set to the Edirol driver. Windows XP Home version in use. Anyone have any history or suggestions with this setup? thanks.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:13 pm

Uninstall your midi device and unplug it. Delete all registry keys, etc...

Download the newest drivers

Install the new drivers (while the device is unplugged)

Plug in the device

Go to control panels - add remove programs - search and fiund the usb drivers

install them

plug in the device

Hope this helps!

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:03 pm

There are issues whith Yamaha keyboards communicating via USB if you don't use the dedicated Yamaha midi/usb convertor.

I would suggest getting a game port to midi lead and connecting the keyboard via the game port on the main board. Make sure it is enabled for midi in the bios.

You will get no latency using midi and with the extensive sounds you have on the PSR 540 you can play the midi back through the keyboard and record back into the computer via the line in on the Hercules soundcard.

Have a good mess around, utilising what you have. With that keyboard and it's XG sound set you should get some good sounding results.

Andy