Midi 2 Keyboard

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:15 am

I am having problems with my setup. I can start up a project on my PSR-540 and save it to a disk, load into sonar and it will play, but if I alter the notes or add a track and save thru sonar, my keyboard won't play anything. I thought this would only happen if I used over 16 tracks.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:55 pm

Are you actually placing the disc inside your keyboard or playing back a sequence in Soanr?

If you are putting a disc into your keyboard, make sure you are saving as .smf (standard midi file) or another file format your keyboard will recognize.

What is the polyphony of your keyboard? I think you may have tracks and polyphony confused. You (most likely) can't exceed 16 voices of polyphony, not 16 tracks. This means you can't exceed 16 notes at the same time, as opposed to having 16 tracks playing.

I always suggest a book called MIDI For The Professional, I bought it when I was in college and use it as a reference to this day. You may want to check it out.

Good Luck!

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:57 pm

Try dumping the setup info backwards and forwards between the keyboard and sequencer.

I have a template for 16 tracks which default to PSR settings. Then record straight to the sequencer by playing back the track on the keyboard and recording it with all 16 tracks armed..

I have a friend with a PSR 2000 who works using floppies, I'll ask him what happens when he transfers files via the disc.

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:50 pm

Just confirmed with my friend. You need to save in Sonar as Midi Format 0 for the PSR keyboard to recognised the file. It sounds as if you are maybe saving them as midi format 1 or as a Normal file which is a cakewalk specific file.