ProAudio9, clone vs. copy/paste tracks

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
HDB

Post by HDB » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:30 pm

Hi all. What happens when you clone a MIDI track as opposed to copy/paste. I have a tune that I cloned about 25 tracks, and have found that if you try to edit channel, pan, vol, etc on either the cloned or cloned from track...that it changes the other exactly the same. Found when you copy/paste a track, it can have complete independence. Took a while to figure out why tweaking one track seemed to affect the other. I opened both event list windows, and saw then what was happening. Anyway, is there a way (a CAL, anything), to rechannel or remove the complete dependence on each other? I suppose I could write down my card/SF/module settings, delete the cloned, and copy/paste and then set them all back up. But that seems kind of time consuming. I have more tunes that will need this, also.
Thanks,
HDB

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:07 pm

There is not a CAL script that addresses this - but you could write one. It would be a good way to get into CAL programming which will open up many doors for you!

I would think you probably want to copy and paste though because chances are you won't make the mistake of 'cloning' again.

I have used the clone feature with cool results when doing dance tracks (not that often). I have cloned bass drum tracks and set them up as bass tracks - cool stuff for that genre.

Good Luck!

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:44 am

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the CAL creation, but was just hoping I could find an easier way to deal with it. Oh well. Definitely no more unintended cloning here! I just figured it was basically the same as copy and paste when I found it. I SUPPOSE I could look in the manual next time I find a cool new feature...before I do something boneheaded again.

Thanks,
HDB

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:40 pm

At least now you'll never make that mistake again! Remember - sometimes it's better to try something and mess it up becasue then you'll always remember - plus you never know when you may stumble onto something cool!

GG