Sonar 3.1.1 doesn't echo Sysx

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
Gix

Post by Gix » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:55 am

I'm using latest Sonar PE with MIDI output set to Yamaha S-YXG50 WDM version.
The option Echo sysx is on, but during live playing (well - sort of - the WDM version has 90 ms latency) or during recording, the sysx messages are not transmited to the output device (but they are recorded on the track). Only when playing a recorded track with sysx messages they are transmited.
Do you know what's causing this?
Thanks.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:01 pm

In order to send sysex data during playback use the 'auto' option for sysex banks. Any 'auto' bank is automaticly sent during playback.

If you want to send sysex data in the middle of the project - go to the event list and insert a meta event, select the kind of event you want to send. In the 'value' column, set the value to the desired number.

Good Luck!

Gix

Post by Gix » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:44 pm

No, I don't want to send Sysx data during playback. I know how to do that and it's working.
I want to send Sysx data during live playing of the instrument by means of MIDI Echo.

Look at the test I've done:

I used Maple Midi virtual cable. With it I have 4 Midi In ports and 4 Out Midi ports, linked one to another.
S-YXG50 is still MIDI Out 1 but it is not involved in the test. Maple Midi outs are from 2 to 5. I don't have other Midi In ports.

- I opened Sonar 3.1.1 PE with a default template. I clicked the MIDI 1 track.
- I set the input to Maple Midi In: Port 1 - Omni
- I set the output to Maple Midi Out: Port2
- There is an instrument assigned to Maple Midi Out: Port 2, as an Yamaha XG instrument.
- I opened MIDI-OX and set it to listen at Maple Midi: Port2
- I opened SendSX and set the Midi Out to Maple Midi Out: Port1
- So the link is like that: SendSX - Maple link 1 - Sonar MIDI track 1 (with echo?!?) - Maple link 2 - MIDI-OX
- I verified once more that Echo System Exclusive is ON.
- I opened in Sonar the Sysx view an loaded the gmsystem.syx file, asigned it to Output 2 (i.e. Maple Midi Out: Port 2, because Output 1 is still S-YXG50)
- I set the MIDI 1 track: Ch 1: Yamaha XG, chosed Bank 0 and Patch1.
- MIDI-OX responded imediately showing the control changes, Bank MSB, LSB, Patch change.
- I sent the gmsystem.syx bank. MIDI-OX responded showing 6 bytes of System Exclusive Message.
- I switched to SendSX where I loaded xg-reset.syx. Then I pressed Send(F4).
- MIDI-OX showed nothing!!!
- I armed the track. I cleared the MIDI-OX window. I started the recording. I used SendSX to send the sysx message. I stopped the recording.
- I looked at MIDI-OX. First three messages are for setting the banks/patch. Then there are a couple of messages to set the pitch bend=40, modulation=0, pedal=0 and reset controllers on each channels from 1 to 16. I think that's what Sonar does at the end of recording each time. But no Sysx message!!!!
- After rewinding, the track shows only one event, the Sysx data event containing my XG-reset message.
- I cleared again the MIDI-OX window. I pressed Play in Sonar.
- Now MIDI-OX displayed that Sysx message between the three bank/patch setting messages and the reset controllers messages.

What am I doing wrong?

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:12 pm

Gix wrote:I'm using latest Sonar PE with MIDI output set to Yamaha S-YXG50 WDM version.
The option Echo sysx is on, but during live playing (well - sort of - the WDM version has 90 ms latency) or during recording, the sysx messages are not transmited to the output device (but they are recorded on the track). Only when playing a recorded track with sysx messages they are transmited.
Do you know what's causing this?
Thanks.