patch change problem

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
enchanters

Post by enchanters » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:49 pm

frequently when i start a sequence the drum channel,#10 plays piano the only way to stop it is to turn off the computer and re-start.using cakewalk 5 and yamahamu15 sound module on stage can anyone help....bp

HDB

Post by HDB » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:26 pm

Hmmm...not sure.

Do you have the MIDI cable going into AND out of the computer and module? If you only need to use the module for playback, remove the cable OUT from Yamaha-IN to computer. (IF it has both, and you are using them both). Maybe it's getting locked up in a loop, which could cause you to have to shut the computer off. If you MUST have both cables attached, try turning off MIDI Echo (Options>Projects>MIDI Input).

As far as a Piano playing on Ch 10, have you tried to insert patch changes at the beginning of your MIDI tracks? Highlight a track, go to View>Event List, and see if your files have patch change messages in them. If they don't, it might be a good idea to insert the proper patches for whatever tracks. Insert them at the beginning of the track. It may be prudent to also put any other performance data in there that may be useful, such as Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, etc. Fit these in BEFORE the first Note data of each track.

May also be a good thing to insert a Sysex Reset message at the beginning of the song, before ANY other data. I'm not sure about yours, but I put a GS reset at the very beginning. You may try an XG, or GM reset, depending on what your Yamaha wants, and if it will receive it. If you set it to the proper port that you are sending data to the module, it may reset the module for every MIDI file, if you include it in every MIDI file. This will clear out previous data, and load all the data you have for your next tune. It's in View>Sysex.

That's all I can think of at this point.

Good luck,

HDB

lAbArYnth

Post by lAbArYnth » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:38 pm

I put a GS reset at the very beginning. You may try an XG, or GM reset, depending on what your Yamaha wants, and if it will receive it. If you set it to the proper port that you are sending data to the module, it may reset the module for every MIDI file, if you include it in every MIDI file. This will clear out previous data, and load all the data you have for your next tune.

Where does the bank come into all this??
I only put a GS reset into bank 0 on all my files
will that do the trick??

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:48 am

Labarynth,

I may be wrong, but I believe the Reset message resets the entire card/module, so it's working from a clean slate. That way you don't have have, possibly, data left over from a previous state that may cause confusion and weird effects on tracks. I am very adamant about doing this, and making sure that ALL tracks have performance data (Program Changes, Volume, Pan, etc.) inserted at the proper places. I learned the hard way what happens if you leave it to it's own devices. It's much harder to track down things later, than earlier. For instance, I have done some things where I pasted one file to the end of another. This is where it REALLY gets interesting, and where I had to figure out what was wrong. Believe me, it's easier to find things before you merge files, than to wade through 40 MIDI tracks of event data to figure out exactly where to insert a change. And often, I'd have to search for the proper patch, because the instrument in the Tracks View is going to stay whatever was loaded first. So if that track changed from a trumpet to a flugelhorn, it's still going to list a trumpet.
Also, the numbers in the Track View representing volume, pan, etc. don't follow the performance, so I can't rely on them. If I want to be sure things do what I want them to do, the Event List is the only sure-fire way I have figured out how to do it.
You could leave the Reset message in the beginning of the second part of the tune, but I have been removing it after I paste. As long as it was reset at the first, and all the changes were inserted, it should play back properly.

HDB

bobby penn

Post by bobby penn » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:57 pm

thanks to all for the info, you'all solved my problems, thanks again....bobby penn