Stereo vs. Mono tracks

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
kentothink

Post by kentothink » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:35 am

okay...this band im mixing for...they recorded a lot of stuff on a mixer and ran it out over 2 outputs (L and R) and then into 1 and 2 in their MOTU and then they made that a stereo track.

why the dilemma?

i now have guitar tracks...over 2 mics...in teh same track. phase-problems-o-rama. so what do i do then? i hit the little button sonar taht makes the stereo tracks mono. doesnt help my phase issue, but i can deal with that with a little subtractive EQ.

the real problem:

i save the tunes. when i reopen them, they are no longer mono. they are BACK to stereo. soi have to switch them all back to mono! why doesnt this stick when i save it?

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:19 am

Since phase issues arise from mic placement issues, I don't really see how using eq will bring back things that never were there.

Have you tried fliping the phase of one of the stereo channels (left or right)? This may add in what you are looking for.

Are you dealing with one stereo track or several stereo tracks?

You could always export each track to a seperate mono file and strat a new project and import each (mono) wav file seperatly to a mono track and mix from there.