using .wav samples (for the backing rhythm) with Sonar

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
musicGuy520

Post by musicGuy520 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:22 am

Hi... I have sonar 3 producer edition, but I haven't used any sonar products before. I also have some .wav drum samples (kicks, snares, cymbals, etc.) that I would like to use for creating drum tracks. Now, is there a way to assign notes to samples, like MIDI to samples, or whatnot? I was able to do this in Fruity Loops, where I could enter notes through a simple keyboard-like view, but I need something more powerful (like sonar).

Do I need additional plugins for something like this? Or can I do it with the out-of-the-box Sonar???

Help is appreciated, thanks!!!

Illprophet

Re.

Post by Illprophet » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:33 am

Fruity Loops can easily coincide with Sonar as a plugin so I don't quite understand your query. Instead of manually using .WAV clips, you could get Hammerhead Rythm Station. The free version can be found HERE. Or, you could use the supplied drum kit. And, you can complete any project in it's entirety with Sonar 3PE -"out of the box" (use that big book that came with it). Good luck-
ALSO,
how to make a session drumer in cakewalk

select a midi track
midi effects
session drummer

It will let you program patters, however no midi data will show up.

If you want to see the midi data, simply put add midi effect/quantize (these patterns are already quantized so it wont change anything - the midi data will appear.

GretscGuy

musicGuy520

Post by musicGuy520 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:08 pm

Well, I don't really want to use those pre-existing patterns, cause I think they limit you to what they think a "rock" snare/hat beat is, and so forth... and I want to create my own ones from scratch... It's always easy to copy and paste to preserve time from punching in all those hits, when need be.

And I want to use the .wav samples cause they sound quite natural.... The general MIDI stuff is not nearly as good... So that's kinda the reasoning behind all this.

Oh... I went to the Hammerhead site you noted above... The reason I want to stay away from something like that is because is centered around dance/techno music. Fruity loops is much like that too, and I'm trying to do more creative/progressive music... more in the realm of rock-proggressive rock world. And I'm trying to figure out which music software will be the best for something like that.

It also doesn't help that I'm kinda new to this whole recording software world...

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:02 pm

On all this talk about .wav samples and such..I was wondering if Cakewalk Kinetic might work? I know it has ReWire and would work well w/ Sonar but I was wondering if anyone here knows if its more like...techno in mind or if its all-around..

Sorry for kinda going off topic but I'm considering buying it but not sure what its really used best for.

Illprophet

Post by Illprophet » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:56 am

MG520 - Actually Hammerhead doesn't adhear to any one format (rap, rock, industrial, whatever). It comes with 909s, 808s and 606s, but you can DL many-many-many different drum sets for it (all for free). All you do is load it into the Userbank and with a press of a button you have a new set. Shoot, with a little shuffle added, you can produce tracks for big band and jazz...not that you or I would, it's just a great drum asset no matter what genre you're dealing with. Good luck with your search :lol:
Last edited by Illprophet on Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Illprophet

Post by Illprophet » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:08 am

MagusCT -I think Kinetic is more all around. If your considering it that much...why don't you DL the trial version from Cakewalk? I think that would best answer your question no? Good luck to you.

MagusCT

Post by MagusCT » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:14 pm

Actually thats my problem ...THere is no trial version for some reason.. I dont even know if one is being planned...sigh oh well

Illprophet

Post by Illprophet » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:22 pm

I didn't realize that, bummer bro.

rmills

Post by rmills » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:44 am

It sounds like Cyclone, which comes with Sonar 3, I think, is what you want. It is just a sampler with 16 slots. Each slot holds a different looping, or non-looping, wave file that gets assigned to a MIDI note. You insert it into a project like you would any softsynth.

I hope this helps.