Editing wav files

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
Barrymac

Post by Barrymac » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:55 pm

Still using Sonar 2.2xl. Is it just me or are the audio effects hard to apply? Are there forums/sites to visit that offer help/suggestions in applying the settings for various effects (delay, eq, etc.)? Is the preview function hard coded to <5 seconds, or can it be increased? Or am i better off getting a separate wav editing application to use after I export my project to wav? Enquiring minds want to know.

Jaugernaut

Post by Jaugernaut » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:48 pm

I agree about the effects, I'd really like to use the live effects so I can tewak them in the final mix, but it seems to eat up all my CPU's if I get creative, so I minimize my use of real timeeffects. Another problem is they are difficult to control, If I wan an effect just on one part of an Audio piece - how can I do that? its all on or off, or I have to manipulate the little dials while I'm trying to mix - Yuck!

There has to be an easier way to use effects in Sonar.

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:32 pm

If you want to just insert effects at one point in a track I think you can set markers to turn the effect on or off or just record the automation of the track.

This isn't really a problem with just Sonar I would say it is a problem in general with software sequencers. As each bit of software comes out it is more convenient to use and sounds a bit better but at the expense of memory and processor power.

I sometimes find using some basic older effects with a little bit of hard work in setting them up means that I can use more of them.

Sonar 3 or 4 is worth the investment to be able to put effects of busses and aux outs etc very easily. Something that is very fiddly in Sonar 2.2.

I have always found this site invaluable for links all over the place in the computer music world http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

Barrymac

Post by Barrymac » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:53 pm

Thanks for both replies, and also for letting me know it's not just me. Is it possible to take the audio trax (they are recorde as .wav files, no?) into a 3rd party application (e.g. Adobe Audition, formerly Cool Edit Pro), and not mess up the Sonar project? Or are there plug-ins I don't know about (and there's not much I do know about plug-ins - ha) that would do the job easier than Sonars effects alone?