Sonar- !"General Error"!

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
toti

Post by toti » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:51 pm

Hi,
Of late when opening larger projects 500mb+, i get this "general error" (a little popup box only stating this) and the file doesn't load. It will get to a certain percentage of loading but then it will stop and this popup box will appear. This happens sporadically and eventually the file will load, but its becoming more frequent and really annoying and time consuming!
Anyone have any clues what this might be?
Im running a P4 system with a gig of ram on winXP.
Thanks,
toti

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:18 pm

Looks like it's time to give the hard drive a good clean up. When things start slowing down I usually save my projects as bundles and burn them to a CD. I do this with all current projects. I then clear all the audio of my hard drive as well as the picture cache. Do all my disk maintainance ending up with the defrag.

Then load all your projects back into cakewalk from the CD. Play them through once and wait a while and all the wave forms are redrawn on the screen. Save as a project file and all your audio should be placed back on your hard drive but this time none of it will be fragmented.

toti

Post by toti » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:19 am

Thanx andy. I'l give it a go. Somehow i think its a buggy plugin thats causing the probs. When i load the file through safe mode with no plugins, i have no probs loading the file. I dont think my audio is fragmented, i've only used 5% of my 160Gig raid array and i also use diskeeper regularily to defragment and it shows no fragments on the audio harddisk. For the moment i've re-saved the file with only the plugins and tracks that i need. At the moment its working ok. I've never had this problem before and this particular project is fairly complex at 58 tracks and 60 plugins, but i must say sonar is doing magnificently well to cope with it!
Thanks again,
toti

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:16 am

It does sound like a plugin problem, usually you get a dll type error message.

The best thing to do now if you happy with some of the effects and sounds you have, get them bounced down to audio and archive the files with the plugins on. this way if you have to go back later to change something you can always delete the audio track and un-archive the original. If the problem disappears it is obviously one of those plugins. If it remains it will only be with one of the plugins you have left un-archived.

I usually have to work like this all the time because I only have a PIII 850Mhz machine. When I get up to 40+ midi and audio tracks with a few hefty plugins then I am asking for trouble, so it's bounce and archive all the time for me.