Another MIDI Problem------Arrgh!

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
BigT

Post by BigT » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Hi

I am using Sonar 6 with a Lexicon Omega as my interface. I built a new computer, an AMD Athlon 4200+ dual core with 2 gb. of ram. My problem is whenever I have my midi cable plugged into the Omega and I am running Sonar, whenever I hit record the computer freezes. If I don't have the midi cable plugged into the Omega, Sonar runs perfect. But, I can have the midi cable plugged in to the Omega and use Reason 3.0 and it will work fine, it doesn't freeze. It never did this with my old computer. I've downloaded the latest drivers from Lexicon and it still freezes. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
BigT

HDB

Post by HDB » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:30 am

More info is needed.

What do you have the MIDI cable connected from, or, to the Lexicon?
Is it going to an outboard device, like a keyboard or MIDI sound module?

What are you trying to do with the MIDI cable? Do you have it connected to a device IN the computer? If so, you may be possibly causing a loopback that is locking things up.

The MIDI I/O on the Lexicon should work fine through the USB, without MIDI cables...to and from the computer. The MIDI interface in the Lexicon, I believe, is more a convenience for connecting outboard gear.

Even if that IS what you are doing, if you have the inputs and outputs of, say, a keyboard connected, you may be causing a loop. You would need to either turn off MIDI echo in Sonar, or find a similar setting in your outboard gear that will keep it from looping through it.

If you have no outboard gear connected, I suspect you may not need a MIDI cable. You may just have to set up tracks in Sonar to play virtual instruments through the Lexicon, or General MIDI sounds through, perhaps, your computer's MIDI soundcard. (I don't think the Lexicon has a MIDI soundset, but I could be wrong). So, it's possible you have the Lexicon connected, and you may think you need to connect it to a MIDI I/O on your existing soundcard. If that's the case, there is no need to do that.

Outline your MIDI cable signal paths, and maybe we can take a better stab at figuring out what it's doing. This is just something common that I suspect it MAY be doing.

HDB

BigT

Post by BigT » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Hi HDB

Thanks for your help. I have the midi cable going from the midi out of my Roland Fantom into the midi in on my Lexicon so i am able to play soft synths. Whenever I am using Reason 3.0 this way I have no problems. But as soon as I try to do this in Sonar my computer freezes up. Then if I unplug the midi cable from my Lexicon Sonar will work good. As far as I can tell everything is the same as my old computer and it never did this. The Lexicon is the only midi in's and out's to my computer, and it is via USB. The Lexicon has no midi soundset. I hope helps. Thanks you for all your help.

BigT

HDB

Post by HDB » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:54 pm

Well, that makes no sense at all. You wouldn't think simply having a keyboard plugged into the MIDI In of the Lexicon could make a difference. It's not causing a loop through the keyboard. There isn't anything to cause a 'switching' condition.

I don't know, but I don't think it's possible that the Lexicon is causing an internal loop in itself to lock things up when you hit a note on the keyboard.

Did you try to set the Echo Mode to "None", just to experiment? That way, whatever you send in from the Lexicon to Sonar won't even send it back out of Sonar to the Lexicon.

Sounds like you pretty much know what you are doing. I guess all you can do is double-check your Sonar settings. Since it works in Reason, that would seem to narrow it down to something in the Sonar settings.

I guess I'd start with the MIDI input devices, then maybe dig around in the Project Options.

That's all I got. Doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense why it is doing that....

Good luck...hope you figure it out.

HDB

BigT

Post by BigT » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:48 am

Hey HDB

Thanks for trying to help. This is driving me crazy. I talked to a guy at my local guitar center and he seems to think my problems are from the dual core processor. he said he heard there is a lot of issues with Lexicon and also with Sonar using a dual core processor. I'm not sure but there might be something to this because when I hook my old computer up ( not a dual core) I have no problems at all. I'm going to try a different interface tomorrow E-MU, M-Audio, Presonus etc. The music store said I can try it and if there is no difference I can return it for a full refund. I also downloaded the dual core optimizer file from the AMD website but it didn't help. Hopefully I can narrow the problem down tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

BigT

HDB

Post by HDB » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:19 am

BigT,

You're welcome. When you find the answer, it may be a big help to others if you would outline the solution here, in case anyone else runs into the same type of thing.

I'm pricing out a new computer myself, and if Sonar has a dual-core problem, inquiring minds want to know the fix.

Thanks,

HDB

BigT

Post by BigT » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:21 pm

HDB

I will definately post the results of my findings, hopefully I'll get this figured out.

BigT

BigT

Post by BigT » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:14 pm

Hey HDB

Well I'm pretty much dead in the water here. I can't seem to resolve these problems I'm having. I've been on the phone with everyone I can think of. Some say the dual core processor shouldn't be a problem and others swear that's where all my problems are coming from. For now I'm going to put the fastest single core processor in my old computer that my mother board will handle. Hopefully I'll get these problems ironed out soon. Thanks for your help

BigT