Sonar Power Studio Vista Audio Failure

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
davidalan

Post by davidalan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:57 pm

Hey everyone.

I am having problems with my audio on my new, Vista x64 computer running my Power Studio 660.

Randomly, all sound completely fails in windows. That is, I can be suring the internet, listening to music, whatever, and it will all of a sudden stop making sound. To restore it, I have to turn off the SPS-66 and turn it back on. Then, usually about 5 minutes later it fails again. Note, this is not just a problem with Sonar, but with any kind of audio in windows.

I completely uninstalled Vista x64 and reinstalled everything. I have the latest bios, the latest drivers for everything. My onboard audio is disabled from the bios. But the problem continued.

I then uninstalled Vista x64 and installed Vista x86; same problem.

I then went and purchased a new firewire card that was labeled vista compatible, thinking that perhaps the problem had to do with my firewire card being to old; same problem.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I have emailed Cakewalk's technical support multiple times in this past month with absolutely no response...is there something wrong with their service? I work 8-5, so calling technical support is difficult; I sit there on hold listening to music throughout my lunch break and noone ever picks up.

Could this be a physical, hardware problem with my SPS-66?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

phibeck

Post by phibeck » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:13 pm

As far as I know Vista is one long disaster - the drivers are just not compatible with most DAWs. You have also 64bit - not all VST's can support that. It's no comfort for yhou, but when I bought a new PC a couple of months ago, I went to great lengths to make sure it was 32 bit XP.

Your best idea is to delete Vista and install XP.

This must be the lowest forum ever by the way. Try the Sonar forum at KVRaudio - theres a bit more life over there.