Upgraded from 2000 to XP - BIG problems

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:58 pm

I have gone thru the 20 - 30 tune-up suggestions for audio that are floating around on the net. I use Sonar as a slave to a hard disk recorder. And that works fine with MIDI files. BUT.... when I try to play an audio file, it stops and hangs up IMMEDIATLEY. Totally frozen. I am using the recommended driver for audio (Delta 1010).

2000 is installed on my OTHER drive in the computer... is that a big deal?

I have to then reboot the computer to get Sonar working again. 30 crashes in a couple days... have been on the ph with Sonar tech's and M-Audio techs.

(Sonar 2.2)

:)

Suggestions?

jrsr

Post by jrsr » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:19 am

switch back to ME. That solved all my problems.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:32 pm

A few questions. You migrated from 2000 to XP. Did you do a clean install of XP or an upgrade? If you did an upgrade, keep in mind that several parts of your W2k system are still sitting around and could be the problem.

Here is what I would do:

1- Get drivers for every device I own (for xp) together. Burn them onto a few cds and label them.

2- Do a clean install of XP

3- Load fresh drivers

I would bet that would solve a portion of your problems. I recently (Saturday) upgraded from 2000 to XP Pro without so much as a wrinkle. I still can't belive it!

Be aware that many drivers were released as W2k/XP. In some of these cases the older versions will show up on XP as working properly, but will crap out. I had this problem with a soundcard (Tascam PCI-822) yesterday. Reinstalled the correct drivers and was good to go.

If you don't want to do a clean install, start removing all your devices and drivers. Reinstall and test everything one by one so you can find where the problem is.

I have also heard of (I have not seen this prob for myself as I don't use this configuration) conflicts between M-Audio cards when used with usb and firewire. Not sure if this applies to you, but it's something worth thinking about.

Good Luck, let us know what ends up solving the problem!!!!!

PS- I wouldn't wish ME on my worst enemy. If that's the only optuion you have go for 98SE and save yourself some resources!

chris

Post by chris » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:07 pm

I agree with the CLEAN install. That makes all the difference. XP is an excellent OS and once configured properly, never has given me a headache. Make sure you get the updates from Microsoft regularly too!

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:36 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: