Noise Reduction plug-in

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
f4m45

Post by f4m45 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:25 am

Hi, I'm new to Cakewalk Sonar Producer 8. I took a couple class of studio recording in my previous college and was interested in it. Protools was the only one I used in class before, but then again I was using my school's professional studio, so I did not need any noise reduction function. And now I want to have my own home-studio, even though it's really amateur.
I could NOT find anyway to do noise reduction, and the only cakewalk noise reduction plugin did NOT work, then it asked if I wanted to remove it from the display, so I said "yes". Now I cannot even find it anymore.

Would any of you willing to let me know how I can perform noise reduction (the noise is just static background noise from bad recording environment), please? I could not get the cakewalk compression/gate to do the task, and I really cannot afford hundred-dollars noise reduction software. My only available option is to use audacity. But it is just not convenient at all to use the low quality audacity's noise reduction function.

I have spent many many hours trying to find an article over the web that could help me with this, but I found none that offered a good answer. So, please do not think of me as a person who want an easy answer.

Thank you in advance!

rdotproductions

Post by rdotproductions » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:28 pm

Using strictly sonar, to reduce noise, get your recording environment tight, check all your wires and maybe build a soundproofbooth, you can do it cheap with some plywood and matress foam, but you can reduce alot of noise by putting a small piece of foam directlt behind your microphone, use a de-esser and/or windscreen, spit gaurd. The noise reduction plug-in in sonar is pretty good for select applications, but if your still having problems look for a paragraphic EQ and a parametric EQ VST plugin.They have default presets for hiss cut and hiss removal. I use Sony soundforge with Sonar STRICTLY for the mass amounts of plugins i can use in sonar. Try adding a soft vocal compression AND a Wave hammer to your vocal track. Hope i helped a little. Good luck.