I'm really a newbie

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:40 pm

I have a solo system and trying to make it work with my PC and my OS is winXP.

Here is the msg i have when launch Sonar :
"Error: The following driver(s) either do not support the current audio format, or are in use by another application." and it list my Solo drivers.

In the cakewalk faq of cakewalk.com they said to put the driver bit depth to 16 and sampling rate to 44.1 I've done that but nothing have change.

What should i do ?

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:22 pm

I seem to recall having that error message witn CWHS2002xl. My fix was to go to Optons|Audio|Advance and click on the box stating to use MME. I can't remember the whole phrase, but it was the first box about mid-center.

Good luck

CyberBoog

Post by CyberBoog » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:18 pm

OMG! It work! :)

Thank you very much

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:18 pm

One is glad to be of service.

garym

Post by garym » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:20 pm

Brian D - question: I'm really just learning 4-track (analog - I have a Tascam 414 MKII) audio recording. But I think I need to take my tracks (I've got 8 of them for a song... 4 of them on one cassette and 4 more on another cassette) to a PC for doing FX and mixing. Thought I'd embark on the Cakewalk thing...

But I need to get this right the first time (or close to it).

1. If I want to gates/compressors by channel/track do I need SONAR XL (and Home Studio XL)?

2. I know I need some serious computer power... and I probably should go above and beyond what Cakewalk and SONAR recommend... but how much? Where do I get specifics on what hardware is needed (really needed)?

Thanks.

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:47 pm

Sonar or Home studio will do what you are after. Problem you are going to have is recording them onto the PC 1 or 2 tracks at a time and then syncing them all up. It won't be too hard if you have recorded a click track at the beginning of each tape.

Ideally you would need an 8 input soundcard which would cost a small fortune. You might be able to get a 4 input card for under £200 if not settle for a 2 input audio card like the audiophile 24/96 for about £140. I would advise staying away from the Creative cards they are not very good for this sort of thing.

gary

Post by gary » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:07 pm

Thank you for this info. Can you tell me more about the "click track" (I don't have this currently)?

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:33 pm

gary wrote:Thank you for this info. Can you tell me more about the "click track" (I don't have this currently)?
All it is, is a count in at the beginning of the track. You know 1 2 3 4.

Use a rim shot from the drum set or something that will give a sharp peak in the visual waveform. Do this on each track and you will be able to line up you tracks by visually dragging them in the clips pane window. A lot easier than trying to match them up by ear.