Upgrading from Cakewalk Pro 4.0 :)

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
buckyswider

Post by buckyswider » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi gang! I've unearthed my gear and am getting back into the "game". The last I did was almost twenty years ago, :oops: on the DOS-based cakewalk pro 4.0 with a 4x1 Key Midiator serial/Midi interface. I hope I can find my hundreds of midi tune in my pile of 3.5" floppy disks!!

Anyhow, I figured the best thing to do was to get the "latest" version of Cakewalk, which apparently now is "Sonar". But the focus now seems to be on digital recording, and not MIDI sequencing. Can anyone recommend which Sonar version would be the best for sequencing without being buried too much in all the digital recording? I imagine it would be helpful to be able to serve up some .wav files from the PC during a sequence, but I can't think of anything else "digital recording"-like that I'd want to do at this time. I have my eye on an "M-Audio Midisport 4x4 Anniversary Edition USB MIDI Interface" for my USB-MIDI bridge. For now, I'll stick with my old modules (which all still work!): Ensoniq SQ80; Proteus I, and Alesis D4 drum module.

I wish there was a "what's new in MIDI since 1994 for dummies" available!!

Bucky