Recording advice needed

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
Rotgut

Post by Rotgut » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:10 pm

My friends in CA are going to use Sonar 3.0 and they really have no recording equip yet, only their instruments, a couple mics, some amps and, of course, Sonar). They play hard rock like we do. Now, this is the dilema: since the drummer wants to be able to use 4 or 5 mics on his kit when he tracks his drums for each song (verus one mic for everything which would sound rather shitty and give him zero mixing options), what
is the least expensive device to use so he is able to record 4 or 5 tracks
simultaneously with Sonar??

I was thinking maybe they go out and buy a mixing board and a soundcard like the one we have (the M-Audio 2496) but if they do that, all the drum channels will just end up going to one stereo track via the soundcard - and that would defeat the concept of multitracking a drum kit! What should they buy? Any suggestions from some pros out there would be greatly appreciated; they really want to start recording
with Sonar. Thanks in advance : )

jtholl98

Post by jtholl98 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:23 pm

my band records using Sonar and an maudio 66 with 4 ins, we mic the drums like this:

2 overheads thru a mixer to track one
3 toms thru a different mixer to track two
snare track three
kick drum track four

just make sure the two overhead mics are even going in b/c theyre going to be on the same track
and test the toms to make sure they are even w/each other too

after recording you can adjust levels pretty easily in the mix

if you want more inputs to separately track the toms and cymbals,you can stack another delta 66 in the computer and have 8 ins.

hope this helps...

PHAROAH

Post by PHAROAH » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:14 pm

if you got the cash get the aardvark direct pro Q10.......or the new motu core system and you'll be set.....later

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:47 pm

[quote="jtholl98"]my band records using Sonar and an maudio 66 with 4 ins, we mic the drums like this:

2 overheads thru a mixer to track one
3 toms thru a different mixer to track two
snare track three
kick drum track four

quote]

Why don't you use track 1 & 2 as a stereo pair and pan your toms and your overheads left to right?